VW working incredibly slow

SeanOSkea

Question

Hi: 

I'm an experienced user, running VW 16 and increasingly VW is running unbelievably sluggish.  My last few projects have been incredibly frustrating. I'm working with regular objects, on medium sized projects not messing with sub surfaces, or complex curves--the same kind of stuff I've been doing for years all the way back to VW 10. But now things like maneuvering around a sheet layer, creating a new class--just opening the org palette--updating a viewport just routine stuff its like molasses. Were talking 6 or 8 seconds to open a palette.  60 or 90 seconds to update a viewport. Even just panning around the sheet layer is frustratingly laggy. 

Is there something I can do to refresh? I never used to have this problem but both 15 and 16 have been increasingly slow.   I'm not noticing any lost of performance in any other software I'm using. 

My PC is not a monster workstation but its no toy and the same machine I've used in the past without any trouble.  Is it a Windows 10 thing? Do I have some setting wrong? 

Looking  for hope.  

Sean 

VW 16  Win 10   1607

Dell XPS 8700 Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz  64-bit    16 RAM    

15 answers to this question

Sean and Jim,

i have noticed that the past few iterations of VW have gotten sluggish as well on both my MacBook Pro and my MacPro. Certainly, large files can be slow, but even really simple drawings can have a lot of what I would consider unreasonable lag. 

Ive been a user since somewhere around MiniCad 4 or 5 and have grown increasingly frustrated with current level VW performance. It used to be bullet-proof and fast. Now it seems like I spend as much time trouble-shooting, restarting or simply waiting for the "spinning beach ball" as I do actually drawing. Seems like getting a spinning beach ball for a simple operation like changing the class color for a class that has exactly two simple polygon extrusions is somewhat uncalled for. 

I was having considerable slow down issues and disconnected one monitor as a solution that seemed to have an effect - I've now changed the motherboard from a Z170 to a Z270 Chipset (compatible with 6th gen CPU's - bonus!) and changed the ram from the 32gb of GSkill Ripjaws DDR4-2133 I had in the old motherboard to 32gb of Corsair Dominator DRR4-3200in the Z270 - the difference has been dramatic. I still have the i7 6700k, GTX1080 and 512 NVMe HDD from the previous build in this one and it is now much faster and solid.

I'm not sure in my case it could have been a motherboard issue or ram, but maybe investing in very high quality ram might solve the issue in lieu of a full rebuild as a troubleshooting step.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Jiyoon Kim said:

Hi Sean,

I have the same proble. Did you solve this problem?

Thanks

Hi Jiyoon,

What version of Vectorworks are you using and what are your hardware specifications (GPU, CPU, RAM and operating system)? Without that it is a bit difficult to give a useful answer to what the issue might be in your case.

Hi @Jiyoon Kim, your hardware should be sufficient for not too complex work (e.g. if you have lots of objects in 3D, or many 2D polygons with lots of vertices or just lots of objects etc. then performance may not be very high).

The following link gives the hardware requirements and your system would in my opinion qualify as basic mid level.

https://www.vectorworks.net/sysreq?version=2020

In theory you should have decent performance. Does it happen with any drawing, e.g. with just a few simple objects, or only with larger drawings? Maybe you could give a general description of a typical drawing that you work with so that we have some idea of what you are doing?

Hi @Jiyoon Kim

Here's one probable and easy explanation… if you're working in OpenGL render mode: 

1. Go: View > Rendering > OpenGL Settings… 
  2. Check the 'Detail' setting. The higher this is the slower your computer will perform, especially as you add more objects/geometry. Medium should provide enough detail without necessarily taxing your computer. 

But like @Art V indicates, there are many variables that could be at play so the more details you can provide about your file/model and the conditions will help others help you. 

On 1/13/2020 at 10:01 PM, Jiyoon Kim said:

Is there any solution for wireframe mode?

There are many potential causes of slowdowns, in both software and hardware (as illustrated by the account of Aspect_Design above) so you're best to contact your local Vectorworks Tech Support provider. 

Just shooting from the hip here, you could also:

• Test in a new blank document with no other files open and without using any resources you've already created
  • Check for 'Far Out Objects' in the document concerned (see my attached guided process)
  • Try closing all other programs to rule out conflicts

Tech Support Tutorial; Rectifying 'far out objects' - Written Guide.pdf