Referencing Files with symbols

HEengineering

Question

Talking 2016 version here.

I'm completely perplexed on all the various methods one can use to create a symbol and access it.  I will describe 2 methods. Once which works well for us, the other is confusing.

Method 1.  Create a blank library file. Then while in a working file if we decided to make a symbol we would create on the fly and export to the blank library file.  Whats strange is when done in this manner, if you were to open up the target library file, which you exported to, you see no symbols, you ONLY see it in the resource browser within that file? I then chose this "library file" as a favorite. This seems to work for us. Most the time we convert to group once imported, and allows us to create subfolders within the favorite, which we like to do. 

Problem: If I try to access this file as a referenced file and not a favorite, when Im set to Home documents I see nothing referenced in thru the browser? None of the subfolders or symbols show. So while I can edit the referenced library files on the fly in this manner(Ex; update a symbol), once i export back to that library, and update the reference in the file, it will not show if I put in in a sub folder within that reference/library.

Now looking at newer methods....

Method 2.  Create a library with components in the file, then covert to a symbol.  That way in the library you see it both on screen and in the browser.  However if I were to export a symbol from an outside file into that library again it never shows up on screen! Now if I reference that file in, as opposed to setting it as a favorite, only the symbols that were drawn in the file show up in the resource browser, none of the exported symbols or their nested folders show up.

Maybe the issue lies with referencing settings? Reference as a layer vs design layer viewport?

I guess I don't understand why export is in place, but then any symbol thats only exported and not drawn in the file will not show up if referencing the file as opposed to setting it as a favorite. Seems to kinda defeat the point of export to me?

Ideally Im looking for a way to create symbols on the fly and export them to subfolders if needed.  Lets say the item gets a small change, Id like to make that change on the fly, not have to open the reference make the change and save, then refresh my library.

2 answers to this question

Method 1 seems to currently be the best for our workflow, which is usually 2D details and line work. I find this the simplest method for new users as well. 

Our industry is more centered around utility design then Architecture.  So while we do occasionally make some viewports and renderings, 90% of what we do has to be 2D not only for the client but the muni too.  I find creating subfolders for parts and details even with text works great.  

Id love to create and model everything 3D, but its really hard to justify the upfront time, when our expected turnaround time is so short, and every project is so unique, very few similarities carry from one site to the next.

It also would require uprooting our entire office workflow, and while I love to embrace change, this goes a little beyond that for us. I fear we will never change that workflow unless we are forced to. The beautiful thing about 2d is its simple and it works.  All these links and viewports start to become a little more than the avg drafter can often handle.  When an issue arises it can often times be crippling.  You dont' really have that with 2D line work.

The best part about this is you can search the RB and all your favorites for the name of the symbol.  So I can search all my files in one swoop rather than pecking around in various "favorites" it becomes a live searchable database! This is the best part hands down.

This all pertains to 2016 Resource browser, while the 17 browser has been reinvented in a sense, we havent made the full move over to 2107 yet.

To add to this I would love to see each method explained and used in a webinar or tutorial.  Sometimes you know how to use the tool, but not sure what situations you can apply it in!

Edited by HEengineering