Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Revolve with rail & Ungroup

AlanW

• Marionette Maven

Hi Alan,

Just be careful using that modified ungroup node.

The reason the code you removed is there is to prevent you from accidentally detaching your result object from the Marionette script, not a huge deal, but detaching the object could result in many duplicates of those objects being created every time you run the script. If the object stays attached to the script, the resulting objects will be replaced by the newly run parameters.

I'm looking into how to get this to work without detaching it from the script.

Marissa

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

It seems like it may not be working, though I am just getting into Marionette scripting now instead of using other people's scripts so it could very well be user error.

I created a simple extrusion by having a marionette script create a circle based on input nodes and extrude it. After that it is a group and it cannot be edited like a manual extrusion unless it gets ungrouped first. When putting the ungroup node at the end of the marionette script (i.e. after the created extrusion) it still remains a group.

Should there be another node after the ungroup node to make it work or should it work on its own by simply ungrouping the marionette object and be done with it?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

When a Marionette node creates geometry it is always placed in a group. The group is named based on the name of the node that created it as well as a random number - this ensures that when you run the script again, the object will be deleted and recreated, because that named group will be replaced. To edit any geometry created by marionette nodes, you will have to ungroup it first, no matter whether you use the group or ungroup nodes.

On 5/23/2018 at 4:54 PM, sbarrett said:

To edit any geometry created by marionette nodes, you will have to ungroup it first, no matter whether you use the group or ungroup nodes.

Thanks for the clarification on why Marionette creates groups.

Are you saying that an ungroup node will not ungroup a Marionette generated object when the node is the last one of the network, i.e. it only works as an input for another node and I need to manually ungroup the object anyway?

I this case I want to use Marionette to create a base object by using numerical input and then have it automatically ungrouped for further editing. Creating the object works, but the automatic ungrouping by having the ungroup node as the last node of the network does not seem to work.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Art V said:

Are you saying that an ungroup node will not ungroup a Marionette generated object when the node is the last one of the network, i.e. it only works as an input for another node and I need to manually ungroup the object anyway?

^ I believe this is correct. It will ungroup any groups within the primary Marionette generated group, but not the primary Marionette group.

Kevin

4 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

^ I believe this is correct. It will ungroup any groups within the primary Marionette generated group, but not the primary Marionette group.

Kevin

Thanks for the answer, not what I was hoping for  but already guessed it might be that based on your example networks. At least it saves me from spending more time on trying to find a way to make it work as the last node of a Marionette network.

@Alan Woodwell thanks for the suggest, I'll give it a try.

The reason for wanting to ungroup is that these objects are just base objects that will need to be edited but do have a location and dimensions as starting point. Instead of repeating the sequence of operations with selecting tools etc. or copying and having to type numbers anyway my thinking was that a marionette script would be a bit more comfortable to use when I have a series of such objects to create.