Focus Spotlight instruments without Focus Point tool PIO

Anthony Neary

Question

What I personally would like to see is the option to give pan and tilt info to a spotlight instrument without having to assign it to a Focus Point, and then be able to 'turn on' the fixture.  For Renderwork lighting objects we have this ability, we literally have sliders to adjust.  Personally I find my drawing space getting cluttered even on small shows when using the focus point tool.  If I have 30 lights in the plot, I could conceivably have 30 focus points I need to deal with depending on how the focus needs to work out.

Anyone else feel the same way or am I in the minority?

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

This would be an awesome addition! 

Focus points only really make sense if you are focusing several lights in the same place. They are really annoying when all I want to do is focus one light in a certain place.

Having the ability to have POV of the fixture and be able to focus it would be incredible. 

Darn. Came here looking for how to do this.  It's insane that you can't pan/tilt a light.

EDIT: If the powers that be are reading this, an example of why this is insane: I have a stage with 60 lights washing a green screen.  They all just need to tilt 30deg for 3D display purposes.  At the moment, it seems like I need to make 60 individual focus points, instead of selecting the whole pile of them and typing "30" once.

Edited by A.D.K.
Added an example of why requested feature is necessary.

@Rob Books But what about the same fixture type in a different concept, that needs to be straight down? Each fixture type has quite a few different focus needs.  Wouldn't I end up with a load of different tilt angle fixture objects?

Edit: Or do you mean go in an manually edit each object, instead of the symbol resource? 

Edited by A.D.K.
1 minute ago, Rob Books said:

you could go into the symbol and set them all to 30degrees in the 3D part.  that way they are all at 30 deg, and will put light on your screen.  you just won't be able to turn on draw beam.

@Rob Books real pan and tilt control has been on the top of the wishlist of every spotlight user worldwide for years on end. 

Do you as an Insider at Nemetcheck know what the policy is on this subject? Are we ever going to get it? 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Rob Books said:

Unfortunately, I don't.  but the set 3D rotation does address it a bit.  it is not pretty as it rotates around the insertion point, but it is a start I guess.

That would be a not so pretty workaround. Who at the dev team would be able to tell us if this it worked on? We all really want it! 

2 minutes ago, Sebastiaan said:

That would be a not so pretty workaround. Who at the dev team would be able to tell us if this it worked on? We all really want it! 

It's not really a workaround though, that's a different function.  Outhanging a fixture and tilting it 90deg are two completely separate things, which both need to be documented.

For non-spotlighters, the difference is the orientation of the yoke vs the body (according to the "parts" record).

5 minutes ago, A.D.K. said:

It's not really a workaround though, that's a different function.  Outhanging a fixture and tilting it 90deg are two completely separate things, which both need to be documented.

For non-spotlighters, the difference is the orientation of the yoke vs the body (according to the "parts" record).

That’s why I called it :”not so pretty” 😉 

• Like 1