front elevation and side section viewports on a design layer

I've been mucking around with the Section viewports trying to make this work, and it seems like VW just does not want to do it.

What I want is this:

While working on my plot in top/plan I would like to have a viewport of my theatre showing the front elevation below, and a section of the theatre displayed in left or right view off to the side.  Is there any way for a viewport on the design layer to have a different view orientation to the drawing space?

I feel like I am either missing a basic option selection somewhere, or VW doesn't do it.

Thanks

Design Layer Viewports don't have the ability to change the view, but what you want is possible.

First, is your section and elevation drawn in 2D, or do you want to display a centerline section and front elevation of your 3D plot?  

If your drawings are 2D, you can certainly use DLVP to align reference views of your plan.  Make sure the section is on its own layer, and create your DLVP so it only shows your section layer (or layers),  You can rotate and move the DLVP accordingly.

If you are creating your sections from a 3D model, you need to create a Section Viewport -- it has it's own menu command.  After selecting the command, draw the cut plane for the section.  For the front elevation, you are also cutting a section, you are just drawing your section line between the seating and the stage.  In the resulting DLVP, select the Display Flattened option.  Also select Display hidden line in wireframe.  This gives you a 2D viewport rendered in hidden line along your cut plane that you can move and rotate so it alights with the Top/Plan view.

In both cases, make sure you don't have circular references.  For example, a DLVP of your scenery can't be on the same layer as your scenery, or you would have an infinite circular reference.  I create a layer called "Section ref" just to store my viewport of the section that is aligned with the plan.

HTH,
Josh

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

The Flattened option displays the section as a 2D object that you can then incorporate into a 2D workflow.  You can also select an option to show the viewport in hidden line mode regardless of your render settings -- a little like AutoHybrid for sections.  These are only options for Design Layer Viewports, as Sheet Layer VPs are always flattened.

With the option off, you get a 3D model, aligned to the ground plane, cut along the section line.  It's as though you took a band saw to your model, and you can still manipulate and render the remaining portion.

-Josh

• Like 1