Dropbox Between Machines - Internal Error - General Failure

I am getting the following error, screen shot attached. 

Internal Error - general failure encountered during disk I/O operation. (Failure on attempt to open file)

So I have searched for this error and it sounds like a few things. 

1) a server issue.  The machine I am getting it on isn't really using a server. It is on my home machine.  I have a little 5 bay NAS at home but nothing that should be pulling from that.

2) a backup issue.  This is one of my best guesses.  My guess is because I have my user folder saved in Dropbox with the user preferences set to save backups to a custom location on my main machine at the office I get this because it is looking to backup to that location that does not exist on this machine.  What are others thoughts?  I will try to test this but my issue is that setting is saved in my user folder which I want in my Dropbox for a number or reasons.  My only other thought is to put my VW Backup folder in my Dropbox, but right now I have multiple drives in each machine.  I keep lots of backups of lots of files in a big spinning drive on each machine to avoid wasting space. 

3) A second hard drive issue - maybe because my backup folder is currently on my "D:" drive on this machine and the location may be on a different drive letter at home that could be a culprit?  Not sure though, this seems less likely.

Anyone have any input or thoughts?  Maybe a alternate workflow?

Matt

vw error.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

Just got the same error - [on a vintage Mac Mini running OS 10.6.8 so I can keep using my beloved Vectorworks 2008....]

I now keep my files in Dropbox, and had just opened an ancient, pre-Dropbox document with a '/' in the filename - I think VW popped the error when it tried to create a backup file.

Changed the filename to use '|' instead, and haven't seen the error again.           [ 1/48 scale ruler and household objects.vwx ]  changed to [ 1|48 scale ruler and household objects.vwx ]

Screenshot 2017-04-16 05.27.45.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The I ly way storing files directly in Dropbox is supported currently is via Project Sharing, and then only the project file, not the working files. I believe this was only available after Vectorworks 2016.

Storing files in Dropbox is no issue, only if you attempt to work on those files directly within the Dropbox folder, when they sync the file Vectorworks can become unstable.