How to edit site model imported from elsewhere?

am4nda

I want to edit and use some tools for the site model such as cut and fill for the imported site model from elsewhere (ifc format). Can I do this without reconstructing the whole site model all over again from start in Vectorworks?

Also, if I exported a Vectorworks site model (ifc format), I cannot edit it again when I import it again to Vectorworks? Is there a way to edit it (and do some cut and fill etc) after the site model was exported?

Just a thought---If you are an LA. It makes sense to have discussion with your consultant team about who controls the master site model. This should be abargaining chip for all LA's in the future--we control the site model/dtm. All other site models will be mesh exports from our master file. 

Yeah I think really need to recreate the DTM in Vectorworks to perform all the site modifying tools... So far how I do it if I have a model from ArchiCAD, I saved it as .vrml format, extract all the coordinates, save it as .csv format, and then make it as a survey input data in Vectorworks to recreate the site model... Unfortunately yeah the IFC format so far served mostly just as 'reference' in a way..

By the way, is there anyway to export the DTM from Vectorworks to get just the coordinates/survey data?

On March 25, 2017 at 4:46 AM, am4nda said:

Yeah I think really need to recreate the DTM in Vectorworks to perform all the site modifying tools... So far how I do it if I have a model from ArchiCAD, I saved it as .vrml format, extract all the coordinates, save it as .csv format, and then make it as a survey input data in Vectorworks to recreate the site model... Unfortunately yeah the IFC format so far served mostly just as 'reference' in a way..

By the way, is there anyway to export the DTM from Vectorworks to get just the coordinates/survey data?

Sounds familiar. We also work with a very savvy archicad group. Thanks for the tip on your workflow-- interesting.

• 2 weeks later...