Project Sharing- output files

We would normally reference output files into a design file to produce titleblocked sheet layers. This keeps the titleblocking admin away from the actual drawing, it means we can separate out this task and also enables us to break down the output files into, plans, sections and elevations etc for ease of navigation.

With the project sharing system it seems that we are being pushed into keeping everything in one file (which definitely has its benefits) and the issue of someone working on the sheet whilst someone else is doing design work is solved by shared access. But the sheet layers are growing in number and:

1. I fear for the stabilty of the project file, already at 270mb

2. The logistics of navigating several hundred drawings in one sheet layer list scares me, its a shame it doesnt have the hierarchical ability that classes do..

Can the project file be safetly referenced by an output file. My initial attempts messed up with storeys and layer elevations going wrong in the out put file so I bailed and kept it all in the project file.

Whats the best way to deal with 200+ sheet layers in a project file?