reduce poligons in 3D import

joerg

I all time tried to reduce Meshes in Polygon Modelers like Modo, Max or C4D.

The problem was that you will always visually notice the worse quality, like in the example above.

Similar like making highly compressed JPEGs from TIFF images.

So, if at all, I try to iteratively reduce selective parts of the geometry.

So as it is tedious, I do it only in situations where it is really worth the effort.

Like a), you will use lots of copies of that mesh and b) because VW isn't optimized

for use of meshes.

In many cases, rebuilding geometry from scratch is less tedious.

13 hours ago, zoomer said:

I all time tried to reduce Meshes in Polygon Modelers like Modo, Max or C4D.

The problem was that you will always visually notice the worse quality, like in the example above.

Similar like making highly compressed JPEGs from TIFF images.

So, if at all, I try to iteratively reduce selective parts of the geometry.

So as it is tedious, I do it only in situations where it is really worth the effort.

Like a), you will use lots of copies of that mesh and b) because VW isn't optimized

for use of meshes.

In many cases, rebuilding geometry from scratch is less tedious.

true but if i do, like in this case, a restaurant concept in general isometric views i do not need the last detail finish... for closeup i change the symbols for the hires ones.. and i just did a 5min survey so i hit the botton with 50% reduction a view times until a deformation was visible.

Edited by joerg

Yes of course.

That was no critique. I was just a bit frustrated that there is no easy and automated way to reduce mesh data,

without loosing much information.

Beside usual furniture I once had some duct piping available as mesh only, terrible.

As VW does not like meshes so much, it is good there to reduce meshes as much as you can.

I envision a new function or tool or an extension of existing tools to deal with mesh conversion.

Not sure how to describe, but here’s an attempt as sort of commentary and wish bundle:

Problem is two part: A) Meshes, especially imported objects/surfaces from other software, are readily available, but often too dense with polygons or vertices to be efficient in edit or render or even general navigation in vwx. B) Vectorworks has no easy method, tool or command to produce an efficient, similar object or surface with close tolerance to the original mesh.

Solution would be some method/tool/command for creating a new object based on the original mesh.  Includes tracing NURBS curves with only a few vertices at edges of the original, and/or new NURBS surfaces overlaid on the mesh. I suggest NURBS, because they are well defined shapes with only a few vertices.  I’m OK with other kinds of surface if efficiency can match the NURBS.

Solution part 1. (Manual - using the top portion of the chair seat in this thread as example)
Manually snap 3d loci on the seat top, say 10 or 20 of them on the upholstered surface, and trace with NURBS curve around the seam that joins the seat top to the seat bottom.  Select the new seam curve and the new loci. Click the new Make A Surface tool (command?) to create a new NURBS surface object.  This object has source history, similar to a Site Model. Edit to reveal the curve(s) and loci with ability to move the points, add new ones, etc.  The new points can be moved, but have an optional "sticky" mode to stay on the original poly surface. Preview updates during edit. Similar existing vwx functions are Site Model, Create Surface from Curves, NURBS lofts, surfaces from Point Cloud, Drape Surface.

Solution part 2. (Automatic)
Select the chair seat, or the top half of it. Click the Make a Surface function.  A preview dialog shows the existing plus the new surface with default suggestions for an edge curve(s) and surface points, or could be just a bunch of points with no edge curve.  This is similar to Drape Surface with options to adjust the point count. Defaults to array of 5x5 loci? But vwx has to be smart about it.  It can’t just place a locus at every poly intersection. vwx should aim the loci at inflection points.  A preview dialog shows the new surface overlaid on the existing. User can move/add/delete individual loci or U and V sets.  The points or sets have an optional “sticky” mode, they stay attached to the existing when they are moved.  If an edge curve is defined, it can be edited separately from the loci with the sticky mode or the usual NURBS xyz constraints, weight, degree. This is similar to the Drape Surface function, Site Model, and employs functionality of editing NURBS curves and NURBS surfaces, and Create Surface from Curves. The Contour tool could be part of this, too, automatically defining "cut" planes for locus placement.

By the way:  I think the vwx Surface from Point Cloud functionality should be extended for ability to create a surface from a few user placed 3d loci (a mini point cloud).

-B

Perhaps a way could be to create Nurbs Surfaces by simply using ALL vertices,

to get a more intelligent geometry and use parasolid's curve/surface reduction tools

afterwards, to get less redundant data points.

Another problem is that volume models have to be converted to triangles each time

for OpenGL, RW rendering or 3D Mesh exports again.

Which works pretty fast in VW.

But when I have a piece of furniture that I do not need to edit and it has a good mesh,

I keep that mesh inside VW as a Symbol, because I will get better or more controlled exports

Edited by zoomer
15 hours ago, zoomer said:

Yes of course.

That was no critique. I was just a bit frustrated that there is no easy and automated way to reduce mesh data,

without loosing much information.

Beside usual furniture I once had some duct piping available as mesh only, terrible.

As VW does not like meshes so much, it is good there to reduce meshes as much as you can.

i din't read it as critique...just wanted to explain..;-)