Document Switching Broken in Windows (URGENT)

Tom Klaber

Question

Switching between documents is now suddenly broken after a Windows update.  If you go to Window - and select a different document - the view will change - but the navigation will not update and nothing will be selectable, and you will not be able to return to your old document.  The mouse still works, you can select tools - but you get very strange cursor when you do.  The only fix I have found is to close the document you are stuck on.  VW itself does not need to close.  If you close the document - the other one that you were trying to get back to seems fine.

It goes without saying that this is a huge problem.

@JimW - Sorry to tag you on this - but I wanted to bring it your attention right away.

19 answers to this question

Yeah - I never got in the habit of using that.  Mainly because I want to go straight to the file rather than cycle through.  

I would have like to test that on the bugginess - but something tells me that would not have helped.

Is Windows getting tabs?  I very much liked the tabs.

Good Morning All,

We have the same issue I our office, it is completely random and hard to replicate.

It has happened on a few computers (4/5 out of 12), if we tab between VW windows we can see the new documents but all the commands are happening in the we have changed from.

It can happen if we have two docs open or four or five, I can not seem to replicate why it happens. I have even closed and reopened the documents I had open in the same order and it work the second time.

The only solution we can find at the moment is to shut VW down and restart

Unlike Tom we haven't updated any of our systems apart from installing VW2017

We are using Window 7 Professional.

Any ideas?

Thanks

On 3/17/2017 at 7:11 AM, VW-PAD-Bristol-2014 said:

Good Morning All,

We have the same issue I our office, it is completely random and hard to replicate.

It has happened on a few computers (4/5 out of 12), if we tab between VW windows we can see the new documents but all the commands are happening in the we have changed from.

It can happen if we have two docs open or four or five, I can not seem to replicate why it happens. I have even closed and reopened the documents I had open in the same order and it work the second time.

The only solution we can find at the moment is to shut VW down and restart

Unlike Tom we haven't updated any of our systems apart from installing VW2017

We are using Window 7 Professional.

Any ideas?

Thanks

It very well could have been that the windows update was just a coincidence.  
I have not had the time to dissect it, but I am not thinking that it might have to do with a very heavy file, and once I triggered that error - the error persisted even though that file was no longer open, which is why the restart the second time fixed it but not the first - but because on the first reboot I reopened the heavy file first.

That was a lot of words - but glad to hear I am not crazy.