Duplicate Class - Option to rename/edit

Itchy

Question

15 answers to this question

Yes please! When duplicating a class, please offer the full Edit screen at creation. Name field, fill, pen, textures, etc, all filled with source class settings, except Name has appended characters indicating the duplication. See below.

The Duplicate Class operation creates the new class name by displaying the source class name with an appended dash & digit. That dash creates the new class as a child of the source class. I duplicate classes often, and generally want the new class in same hierarchic position as the source class. I can insert my own dash if I want the new class in child status.

Just curious. Is new-class-as-child a common need for others? If it is, I can deal, but if it's not common, then please leave it out. Append some other indicator, eg "copy" or "v2" or just a sequential digit.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
!!
5 minutes ago, Benson Shaw said:

Just curious. Is new-class-as-child a common need for others? If it is, I can deal, but if it's not common, then please leave it out. Append some other indicator, eg "copy" or "v2" or just a sequential digit.

I say no here. I say 95% of the time we want copy class as a sibling of original.

So deleting the dash and using copy instead would be preferable here.

As well, as the obvious of opening properties to edit.

I don't use hierarchic class display at all :)

Often for me the duplicate will get a complete different name and a different purpose anyway.

I just need (similar) colors, material assignments and other settings.

It would be very nice to get the full class edit dialog after duplication !

(Currently RMB > duplicate + RMB > edit or at least rename)

On 15.3.2017 at 4:46 AM, Itchy said:

Can we get an option to select to edit classes duplicated, or even to rename them. If I duplicate a class it is because I need another class with similar properties, but it needs a new name. Out of all the times that i have used this function I don't think there was one time that I didn't rename the class directly after.

Could be a setting, or a pop up with the option to always do the selected action next time, which would then bring up the edit class(es) dialog box.

Had the same Idea for long. Would be great!

Thanks Jim, hopefully it will get implemented soon. Just voted it up to increase the "urgency" of this request. Like others I do duplicate a class as sibling. Maybe have an option to either keep the -number or to leave it out and come up with the properties edit dialog?

Now, not to pollute this request, it would be nice that if there would be an option to generate e.g. a new hatch from the class edit dialog instead of having to create it separately. But I'll make a separate wish list item for that.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Art V said:

Thanks Jim, hopefully it will get implemented soon. Just voted it up to increase the "urgency" of this request. Like others I do duplicate a class as sibling. Maybe have an option to either keep the -number or to leave it out and come up with the properties edit dialog?

Given it's not in 2018 that was only just released I'd suspect 12-24 months at least.

I miss the old days* of 9 monthly releases with minor but valuable tweaks getting priority for the .5 release.

*There I said I'm officially grumpy old man. 

14 hours ago, Matt Overton said:

Given it's not in 2018 that was only just released I'd suspect 12-24 months at least.

I miss the old days* of 9 monthly releases with minor but valuable tweaks getting priority for the .5 release.

*There I said I'm officially grumpy old man. 

Eventually it will get in. As they say... patience is a virtue :)
To keep banging on the door to deliver the message might be less of a virtue, but it might be more effective in the long run. :P

• Like 2