Fractional Alt codes not working in 2017 as they were in 2015

Ryan W. Lass

Question

Hello,

I have been coming here for a while to find solutions for things in VW that I couldn't figure out on my own. But now I have one that I can't find a solution for anywhere.

I just recently switched from 2015 to 2017 and have run into some lost functionality for fractional alt codes.

In 2015 I used alt codes for special characters constantly and  the fractional ones have all changed and/or some of them no longer work in 2017.

2015                        2017

alt188 = ¼              alt0188 = ¼

alt189 = ½              alt0189 = ½

alt190 = ¾              alt0190 = ¾

alt8539 = ⅛            ?

alt8540 = ⅜            ?

alt8541 = ⅝            ?

alt8542 = ⅞            ?

Does anybody know of a solution or an alternate alt code? I could, of course, copy the fractions out of Word but that is tedious compared to the way 2015 worked which was awesome. I am running Windows 10 if that is useful for troubleshooting.

7 answers to this question

Alan: I did migrate the workspace, and I believe the alt codes are embedded in the fonts so it isn't a setting that I can change as far as I know.

Pat: I am running the same fonts so my thought is that VW somehow changed the alt code mapping for the fonts which admittedly doesn't make much sense because it would likely be a lot of work to change those.

But as of right now alt8539, 8540, 8541, 8542 result in [, \, ], ^ respectively rather than ⅛, ⅜, ⅝, ⅞. I was hoping someone that knows more about font character mapping could help me with a fix, or VW would put it back to how it was.

Pat and Jim: The only thing that has changed is VW 2015 to 2017. I used to be on Windows 7 & VW 2015. Then we upgraded to Windows 10 and the alt codes still worked fine in VW and all other programs that I use them in. Then we switched to VW 2017 and the alt codes stopped working in VW. They still work in Word, and VW 2015 on the same computer with the same OS. Just not in VW 2017. My understanding was that the alt codes are more embedded in the font than anything else, which is what makes this confusing to me. 

Since you have both versions installed, can you try two things:

1. Create a file in VW2015 add a text block and type some text and some ALT-codes. Save the file and open in VW2017. Does the text look the same.

2. Check your Font Substitutions.  Go to VW Preferences, Display tab, and click on the Edit Font Mapping button.  Do this in both versions of VW.  Is the font you are using (or think you are using) mapped to something else in one of the versions?