Rendering Times

dinga

Hello everybody,

First time posting on here. I did a quick search but really didn't find too many answers.

One of my end users builds a lot of large music festival designs in his VW (currently using 2017).

He primarily uses the Hidden Line view for all his stage plots.

Each page has a different stage and each stage has about 50-100 lights, a stage, a roof, barricade, video walls, and stage risers. Basically, a lot of stuff haha.

He was doing this from his MBP and was working pretty good until the designs got bigger and bigger.

Currently we have built him a nice little setup an i7, 32GB of ram, and a GTX 10 series GPU.

When he publishes in Hidden Line mode the render times take well over an hour. The system memory has peaked at 28-30GB and the GPU load currently sits a 0%........

What can we do to get some of that work load moved over to the GPU? I understand that the openGL render will help offset that, But the openGL view will not work for what he is trying to accomplish. He needs line mode so each light and device shows up in a nice sketch up view with all the names, labels and positions associated with those devices next to the device. openGL mode takes all of that stuff out of the render and that information is more important than the actual render itself.

Is there a way to have the Hidden Line mode render through the GPU? Is there anything we can do to speed up the Hidden Line render mode? When we render via openGL it works very nicely, just baffled how a Hidden Line mode takes longer than an actual full color render takes? There HAS to be some way to the GPU to help the render speed on this, right?

Sorry if I'm not cleat enough on all of this. I'm more of a computer tech and our end user is too swamped to reach out so I'm trying my best to help :)

Thanks for any help you guys can pass my way. Have a great week!

*On a side note, does VW work better on multi cores, or a very fast single core?* 

well that is unfortunate... My openGL renders are actually pretty quick, which I find funny and kind of confusing, that a Hidden Frame render takes almost 4 times as long. I would think Hidden Frame having less to render would be quicker. Was just trying to find a way to speed this up and it just made sense to have the GPU help offset the render load? 

Maybe there's a render setting i've overlooked? Any advice on how to speed up Hidden Frame renders?

Thank you for the reply :) 

Thank you rDesign.

I've seen the hardware thread but the troubleshooting thread really made an impact. thank you. Very interesting about it only utilizing a single core on osx.

Looks like i'm going to be stuck in the dark ages for a while, I might have to see If i can tweak settings in openGL to make the renders come out similar to Hidden Line?

@dinga- I'm glad the troubleshooting KB article helped.

I don't know whether your end user is rendering the Hidden Line renderings on Design Layers or Sheet Layers, but rendering on DLs can be significantly slower than rendering on Sheet Layers. Design Layers render at full-resolution, whereas as with Sheet Layer VPs you can control the DPI of the Sheet. The higher the DPI, the longer it will take to render. I find 150dpi is sufficient for printing.

Additionally, you may already be aware of this, but If you use Sheet Layer Viewports you can assign separate foreground and background rendering modes to the SLVP, stacking Hidden Line on top of OpenGL.