Renderworks - is it worth the effort

barkest

you can get some fantastic renders using renderworks.....but it needs real-time rendering to save hours and hours of time doing pre-renders...this is where artlantis comes into its own change a light see the result change a texture see the result instantly.... but i have to say some my best renders have been using renderworks but boy o boy you have to be patient and be prepared to spend many hours of testing and pre-rendering and have the machine powerful enough to implement the full range of renderworks features......great product just needs that real-time update to make it worth the while........

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 3/16/2017 at 9:46 AM, Andrew Davies said:

Must admit - I've always ignored the cloud offer from VWX. I generally work alone 😢 So haven't had the need - but I'll check it out. 

@Andrew Davies I just happened upon this comment of yours about Vectorworks Cloud Services. I hope you’ve had a chance to check it out since you posted. Cloud Services is actually great for individual users, because it’s like you have a second computer available to render your sheet layers. It does quite a bit more too. The descriptions along the bottom of the login page help explain what one can use it for.

If you haven’t given it a good look, I encourage you to do so... It can add some rather interesting abilities to your workflows.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, NeilB said:

@Andrew Davies I just happened upon this comment of yours about Vectorworks Cloud Services. I hope you’ve had a chance to check it out since you posted. Cloud Services is actually great for individual users, because it’s like you have a second computer available to render your sheet layers. It does quite a bit more too. The descriptions along the bottom of the login page help explain what one can use it for.

If you haven’t given it a good look, I encourage you to do so... It can add some rather interesting abilities to your workflows.

Hi Neil

That is quite an old post I think!  I have checked it out - and actually need to eat my words. Couldn't agree more!

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Davies
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Cinema 4d ( and Vray) does allow for some stunning photorealistic renderings.  I personally use c4d with Vray, in conjunction with VW primarily for interior renderings.  I won't elaborate why in this missive.  That said, VW Renderworks does do a more than adequate job for most Rendering projects. In a perfect world I feel it makes sense to have C4d and VW.  Just my two cents.

Regarding Renderworks, check out the attached Exterior Rendering I just created featuring a home I am currently designing.  I live in French Polynesia,  so I placed the residence into a local environment scene that I created.

-Kev

DESIGN 44 View 1.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/25/2018 at 2:48 PM, Luis M Ruiz said:

I'll invite you all to check out this interior rendering webinar:

http://www.vectorworks.net/inspiration/industry-webinars/see-it-to-believe-it-next-level-rendering-techniques

Can't wait to watch this one later when I can get through the full tutorial.   Almost all of my renderings are interior exhibit or event renderings.    I keep pushing the models back into Rhino/vray for rendering, but ideally would keep everything in one system.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jeff.kisko said:

Can't wait to watch this one later when I can get through the full tutorial.   Almost all of my renderings are interior exhibit or event renderings.    I keep pushing the models back into Rhino/vray for rendering, but ideally would keep everything in one system.

Hello Jeff.Kisko

From the knowledge of that webinar, you'll be able to get better interior renderings from Renderworks. Here is a sample project:

https://beta.vcs.vectorworks.net/presentations/11e8df8e1bed1a3eabe812a7723e44fa/

• Like 2

Thanks Luis, this is very cool - quite the project - with a lot of interesting techniques & details, thanks for sharing it.

I have a question on the perspective.

There's something about the algorithm that VW uses to draw perspectives that tends to make scenes like these overly distorted and compressive in general- I always feel Iike I need to step back to see the scene properly.

eg. the coffee pots increase in width implausibly as they shift to the periphery of the view. This just doesn't represent reality to me. I wonder if I'm I alone in this response.

15801333_CoffeeNormal.thumb.png.dce6934344bdb26097ccce3fe0b2a358.png1107405287_CoffeeWide.thumb.png.4997dc98b7b65c8323d06ad53dbf6f95.png

Looks to me that in the top image I am pretty sure that the RW Camera 'look to' height is a bit lower than the eye level, which will produce

the vertical elements producing the flaring out at each end of the wall behind the cabinet. Many times why I do is to decrease the perspective slider in the OIP to mitigate this effect. Or....just slightly lower the camera height and the look to height just a bit.  That usually helps. You are right though, it is a bit tricky to get close up view to looks natural. It is interesting, that when I import the VW cameras into a Cinema 4d scene the basic camera view looks much more believable.

3 hours ago, Luis M Ruiz said:

Hello Jeff.Kisko

From the knowledge of that webinar, you'll be able to get better interior renderings from Renderworks. Here is a sample project:

https://beta.vcs.vectorworks.net/presentations/11e8df8e1bed1a3eabe812a7723e44fa/

@Luis M Ruiz This looks excellent. Always enjoy and appreciate your tutorials and work!

Quick questions: were you able to generate the lens flares on the orange wall nodes in vectorworks natively or was this done in post?

Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 2.21.04 PM.png

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2019 at 5:32 PM, James H. said:

Quick questions: were you able to generate the lens flares on the orange wall nodes in vectorworks natively or was this done in post?

When it is a static rendering, I can go two routes: 1- add some 2d png images over viewports or 2- add some flares in Photoshop. For panoramas, bloom effect helps but I wanted a little more pop on some of those light, so a little post-production helped to get me there.

• Like 1

Thanks herbieherb! This is useful as a band-aid in the short term, but it doesn't quite address the need for true vertical tilt correction. The script simply aims the camera straight forward, which does indeed make vertical lines parallel, but is different than actual perspective correction which would make the lines parallel even when the camera is angled slightly up or down.

13 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

which would make the lines parallel even when the camera is angled slightly up or down.

Is there really a way of having parallel vertical lines when your camera is angled up or down?  For example the vertical correction in Photoshop has the exact same effect like if you took the picture with a horizontal view. Even the effect of a tilt-shift-objective uses no alternative rules of perspective viewing. Still keeping the camera horizontal to get parallel vertical lines but moving the borders of the picture up or down. You can simply get that effect by having a horizontal camera and moving the border of the viewport up or down.

Edited by herbieherb