Renderworks - is it worth the effort

barkest

And herein lies the problem of "realism." Which is that it is just a style, like every other render style.  There are various degrees of realism, and yet they all can be considered as realistic.  I look at that rendering, and while I think it is good, and "realistic," I do not think it is accurate enough to be considered high end rendering.  These days high end rendering is fascinated with layers of reflection, lensing, loose and casual props.  It is a difficult conversation to have with clients, when trying to determine the how far they want to go. 

But I am encouraged by VW's efforts to keep up with rendering expectations.  And I think they vastly undersell the other benefits of renderworks, which is to greatly enhance technical illustration with artistic flourishes.

On 14.3.2017 at 4:19 PM, rDesign said:

^^^^ I completely disagree with this statement. Just because Vw uses the C4D engine does not mean that we have full access to C4D's abilities. Far from it, we only have access to a small percentage of what Cinema4D can do. For example, textures in Cinema4D can have multiple layers, which can add the dirt and grime that you're describing: Vw cannot have more than one texture layer. 

you are so wrong buddy...you can import textures from c4d with the shaders, you just can't edit them.

...stop assuming things you don't know anything about:

*drops mic*

Edited by Rummelplatz
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
22 minutes ago, Rummelplatz said:

you are so wrong buddy...you can import textures from c4d with the shaders, you just can't edit them.

...stop assuming things you don't know anything about:

*drops mic*

Decals and layers of shaders are not the same thing. Decals are limited to a single face and can't interact with the rest of the shaders on the base texture like reflectivity and bumps do for instance. I appreciate your defense of the software's abilities, but this is definitely a limitation that we should seek to remove.

(Also: While public discourse and debate is fine, there's no need to drop mics ;) )

• Like 2

For those who need a little more than RW and don't want C4D,

(Texturing, Image File Output, ...) looking at Artlantis,

I think it is a nice alternative for those who don't want too much complexity.

Looking at Artlantis features, I find it quite interesting.

If I got that right :

- C4D like "file Exchange" (Reference Mode)

- Support for latest VW versions

- Affordable

(If you don't need Animation and can contain yourself from InApp purchases)

- Simple User Interface

- Render Preview

- Good Render Quality

No, I think you can get beautiful results pretty easy

and it is always the best solution to get your visualization out of the App where you model

and is kept with current changes.
I like VW very much since VW 2017.

Exchange works now well between VW and C4D, if your priority is on 3D and visualization.

But C4D is one of typical 3D packages that you can spend your whole life learning.

Artlantis UI tries to take complexity of rendering by assistant like usage.

Standard FBX exchange to other 3D Apps has much more loss and therefore prevents from

changes and updating your model. You better import once and do your changes in your 3D App

of choice. If you only care about Visualization and no CAD at all.

• 2 months later...
Guest Selin
On 3/14/2017 at 11:19 AM, rDesign said:

^^^^ I completely disagree with this statement. Just because Vw uses the C4D engine does not mean that we have full access to C4D's abilities. Far from it, we only have access to a small percentage of what Cinema4D can do. For example, textures in Cinema4D can have multiple layers, which can add the dirt and grime that you're describing: Vw cannot have more than one texture layer. 

I'm late to the convo, but I slightly disagree with this. While Renderworks doesn't have the full capability of C4D (to be honest I don't think it should), it definitely does have textures with multiple layers. The limitation is, there's only one layer for each shader type. Also there's some layering inside a few of the shaders, which is mostly hidden from the user to keep the UI simple.

As others mentioned before, C4D is one of those pieces of software that you can spend years learning. This gives the users a lot of control but things can easily get overwhelming. Our goal for Renderworks is to give the users enough control without losing much of the simplicity. Which is also the reason we've been focusing on exchange. It's great to hear that it's helped your workflow@zoomer

I worked with Cinema 4D for years between 2007-2011. The best results came from an additional built-in render engine called "Vray for C4D". I do not think that I need to introduce Vray render engine to anyone who ever worked in visualisation industry. I believe that modelling in VW --> Exporting to C4D --> Rendering with Vray for C4D engine has no limits in photorealistic rendering. (Attached images were modelled in Graphisoft Archicad and rendered with Cinema 4D+Vray roughly 6 years ago)

http://www.vrayforc4d.net

C1_PS_AE.jpg

CB_AE.jpg

• Like 4
On 2017-6-2 at 4:06 PM, Selin said:

This gives the users a lot of control but things can easily get overwhelming.

I am not sure about this. I am still a novice with C4D but using the physical renderer takes away a lot of options which simplifies everything.

4 hours ago, Peter Kovacs said:

I believe that modelling in VW --> Exporting to C4D

Agreed

• 3 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
15 hours ago, jmanganelli said:

Luis' recent webinar tutorial on interior rendering is outstanding, not just with respect to use of Rendeworks, but also just for his excellent presentation and summary of a good rendering workflow.  The results are also very, very good.

So nice to read this comment, that makes my Monday morning.

Thank you.

Luis

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Thanks Luis, am already on it ... G

Hi @Luis M Ruiz 

one questioning regards to the video - 

Is it available in a way where the video is not streaming?

Reason - it takes quite a while to start and also when I stop the video or go back to listen again to some parts of the video it won't always start but I have to refresh the whole video and listen from the beginning.

I know it may have to do with our provider and internet coverage here in OZ which is not perfect, but on the other hand I am not in the Outback but in Melbourne ;0)) ...

Edited by Grethe Connerth

Hi @Luis M Ruiz,

hope you're well.

May I ask which RW Setting the scene in your "See It to Believe It: Next Level Rendering Techniques" entails?

1) 34.30 Mins "Monotone Blue & Overlapping CAD Lines"

2) "Fading Effect" --> is this fade over look done in Photoshop or VW?

3) Also when it comes to Artistic RW Styles in the "Artistic RW Options" --> Style 'Art' there is one single blue-is/green-ish Image.

Where is this image saved and can I change the colour of ti somewhere ?

BTW - on an internal note re the files that I wanted to send you ...

all of the Viewports imploded and crushed to being 'Wireframe' when I changed a Class.

So I have to re-render everything before I can send them out, which may take a few days.

Cheers,

Grethe 

34.30_Mins_Monotone_Blue_&_Overlapping_CAD_Lines.png

Fading_Effect.png

Edited by Grethe Connerth
... forgot a question ...