Import IFC from architect workflow please.

nca777

Question

After about two months with landmark I feel I am beginning to run up against the softwares limitations--limitations I strongly feel define the product as a professional landscape architects tool versus one more geared for garden design.

We always import IFC files from architects typically working in archicad or revit. I would like to see or hear some detailed workflows on importing IFC models, setting accurate finished floor elevations and doing initial site modeling (including foundations). Most of the architects we work with do an initial pass at grading/site modeling.I need to re-model their site grading somehow so that I can easily edit in VW.

A good workflow video (using a sloping site, because sites are never flat) would be great. Any resources out there?

5 answers to this question

In general, although I personally disagree, IFC import is meant as a reference only.

You never touch any geometry from another party.

You just load it in as a reference, update from time to time and create your stuff,

which you export to the complete BIM model, controlled by the BIM Manager.

If there will be conflicts, the related party has to do changes in their geometry

and send it back. Until everything is fine and the project finished.

Therefore, theoretically imported IFC components are non editable or locked.

In case of VW these come in as IFC Entities.

As I think that doesn't make much sense, like in your case where there is a real

collaboration and the Architects want you to remodel their DTM.

In most Apps it is possible to unlock IFC Entities. Either by unlocking the corresponding

layers or in VW case, ungrouping the IFC Entities.

Some Apps will keep Architectural PIOs editable, VW unfortunately does not. At least

I am able to import Generic Solids geometry, not just inconvenient Meshes.

So I think there may be no possibility so far in VW to get an editable DTM into VW by IFC.

But it's worth a try to ungroup IFC DTM data and look if there is any edit ability or something

helpful as a base to create contour lines, stake points or similar useful to create a new DTM

in VW.

Beside that non wanted edit ability in IFC causing you to do at least parts of work already done

again, at the state when having your DTM Model, IFC is fine again to further collaborate.

You send your DTM as IFC to the architects, they examine and communicate their wishes

for changes, you remodel and send the next iteration of the DTM.

Or they send changes made in their design back to you, to adapt your mode to fit.

So for the earliest stages where they want to give you data for edit ability,

it is worth to also try other export formats like DWG and such, to puzzle together as much useful

data and information as you will get into VW.

I am in a similar situation with visualization.

I also am invited to edit the provided geometry.

Normally I get Revit Building geometry as DWG and or IFC, where IFC, for me, gives better results.

Somehow I don't get Solids into VW by DWG, just Meshes, which also have some precision issues.

Edited by zoomer
3 hours ago, zoomer said:

In general, although I personally disagree, IFC import is meant as a reference only.

You never touch any geometry from another party.

You just load it in as a reference, update from time to time and create your stuff,

which you export to the complete BIM model, controlled by the BIM Manager.

If there will be conflicts, the related party has to do changes in their geometry

and send it back. Until everything is fine and the project finished.

Therefore, theoretically imported IFC components are non editable or locked.

In case of VW these come in as IFC Entities.

As I think that doesn't make much sense, like in your case where there is a real

collaboration and the Architects want you to remodel their DTM.

In most Apps it is possible to unlock IFC Entities. Either by unlocking the corresponding

layers or in VW case, ungrouping the IFC Entities.

Some Apps will keep Architectural PIOs editable, VW unfortunately does not. At least

I am able to import Generic Solids geometry, not just inconvenient Meshes.

So I think there may be no possibility so far in VW to get an editable DTM into VW by IFC.

But it's worth a try to ungroup IFC DTM data and look if there is any edit ability or something

helpful as a base to create contour lines, stake points or similar useful to create a new DTM

in VW.

Beside that non wanted edit ability in IFC causing you to do at least parts of work already done

again, at the state when having your DTM Model, IFC is fine again to further collaborate.

You send your DTM as IFC to the architects, they examine and communicate their wishes

for changes, you remodel and send the next iteration of the DTM.

Or they send changes made in their design back to you, to adapt your mode to fit.

So for the earliest stages where they want to give you data for edit ability,

it is worth to also try other export formats like DWG and such, to puzzle together as much useful

data and information as you will get into VW.

I am in a similar situation with visualization.

I also am invited to edit the provided geometry.

Normally I get Revit Building geometry as DWG and or IFC, where IFC, for me, gives better results.

Somehow I don't get Solids into VW by DWG, just Meshes, which also have some precision issues.

I think we're mostly on the same page. The trouble I am having relates more to the fact that we work in a very mountainous area with steeply sloping sites and very stringent development code. The architect is sending us models of the site and building but often times modeled at zero elevation, sometimes rotated arbitraily. I want to use the surveyors very good georeferenced topo data to elevate the IFC (architects building) to the correct elevation(s) and orientation. I can do this with current tools but not confident in the degree of accuracy. I am already using DLVP's to reference IFC and other external data, so not necessarily manipulating original geometry.

Make sense? I've got to think there is a standard-ish workflow out there. Also how do you set the finished floor elevation of a building? I cant seem to find a tool that snaps to/reads the building geometry elevations??

You take the normal selection/drag tool and hover your cursor over a snapping point in 3D.

Now you can read out the Z height at that position from the coordinate info fields at the

right bottom of your view window. Unfortunately no copy and paste.

Normally architects set the finish floor of the 1st floor to 0.00 m.

There should be a hint anywhere near that says "finish floor 0.00 = 367.53 m over sea level"

So you would just move your DLVP's Z about + 367.53 m.

Same for north direction. Architects rotate site so that the next building direction with their main axis

is perpendicular to CAD axis, so it is easier to draw. So there is a north direction mark in top plan views

that shows real north direction.

And they will orient the site so that XY 0/0 origin meets at the axis crossing where the building grid

begins. (1/A)

I would do the same in VW in general for best accuracy.

If world coordinates are needed, at least I would move my user origin in a way that my drawing is

around the VW internal origin.

This does not work when you need to work with real georeferencing because of projection issues.

Your drawing has to be far away from internal origin in that case.

So you will need to move the architects geometry BACK to world position by moving the DLVP.

I do the same. I use surveiller data when available.

But my priority is the building, so I always move surveiller data DLVP's to my building/drawing origin :D

Edited by zoomer
5 hours ago, zoomer said:

You take the normal selection/drag tool and hover your cursor over a snapping point in 3D.

Now you can read out the Z height at that position from the coordinate info fields at the

right bottom of your view window. Unfortunately no copy and paste.

Normally architects set the finish floor of the 1st floor to 0.00 m.

There should be a hint anywhere near that says "finish floor 0.00 = 367.53 m over sea level"

So you would just move your DLVP's Z about + 367.53 m.

Same for north direction. Architects rotate site so that the next building direction with their main axis

is perpendicular to CAD axis, so it is easier to draw. So there is a north direction mark in top plan views

that shows real north direction.

And they will orient the site so that XY 0/0 origin meets at the axis crossing where the building grid

begins. (1/A)

I would do the same in VW in general for best accuracy.

If world coordinates are needed, at least I would move my user origin in a way that my drawing is

around the VW internal origin.

This does not work when you need to work with real georeferencing because of projection issues.

Your drawing has to be far away from internal origin in that case.

So you will need to move the architects geometry BACK to world position by moving the DLVP.

I do the same. I use surveiller data when available.

But my priority is the building, so I always move surveiller data DLVP's to my building/drawing origin :D

Got it. I think you answered my question for the most part re: main level FFE. Assuming architects set main level ff to  to start, yes that would make sense to elevate based on main level. I was confused about where the o elevation would be on a dvlp. I'll do some more tinkering, but this helps. thx!

Well, there may be other options,

I always use the finish floor height level of the entrance floor as 0.00

and these finish floor levels will be my Layer and or Story Z-positions.

(So I can draw all things like furniture at the correct height level ...)

And I think that will be aligned or be the final height/Z-position of the DLVP (?)

Nevertheless,

normally you will find in entrance floor top plan, all sections and elevations plans a mark,

(normally for finish floor's 0.00) where a true height over sea level is notified.

Edited by zoomer