Symbol insertion tool not working

jacobjz

Question

For some reason, the symbol insertion tool is not working for me. Prior to VW2017, I would double click a symbol in my resource browser, then click anywhere in my drawing to place, then angle a 2D symbol.

Now, when I double click a symbol in the browser, it selects the symbol insertion tool correctly, but when I click to place the symbol it says "A symbol needs to be selected" in the bottom righthand corner.

Running VW2017 SP2 on Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.5.

Any help would be much appreciated!

9 answers to this question

Not sure why this is happening. Time for a restart?

Working as expected here.  Dbl click a symbol in the list in the Resource Manager.  The Symbol Insertion tool activates in the Basic Tool Palette.  Symbol outline follows cursor on the drawing until click to place & second click to orient.

Another thing to try is the right click contextual menu. Right click the symbol in the Resource Manager.  Choose "Make Active" from the context menu.  For me, this works same as dbl click of symbol in RM list.

-B

Check what mode of the Symbol Insertion tool you're currently set to (after double clicking a Symbol). I believe you're in the "Symbol Pick up Mode" mode instead of "Standard Insertion Mode".

I think there's actually a slight bug related to this. Every once in a while I'll double-click a Symbol in the Resource Manager and find that Vectorworks has somehow switched me into this third mode instead of the first mode. I have NOT hit the U key accidentally, and I can't otherwise figure out what might sporadically cause this...

Anyways, hopefully switching modes fixes your issue.

• Like 2
On March 12, 2017 at 7:07 PM, Andy Broomell said:

Check what mode of the Symbol Insertion tool you're currently set to (after double clicking a Symbol). I believe you're in the "Symbol Pick up Mode" mode instead of "Standard Insertion Mode".

Thank you! Annoyed I didn't catch that myself!