opening in walls with curved corners and flat top

Guest Wes Gardner

You can by creating a symbol and using the "3D Wall Hole" command as the object that does the actual cutting...

What I do is create a simple extruded cube and create a symbol - this cube will be placed in a class within the symbol and turned off but is a "place holder" for the symbol.  Then choose to edit the 3D Wall Hole and in Top/Plan create your flared shape in 2D and extrude it 6'-8" positioning it in the wall as required.  Exit the symbol and turn off the class containing the original cube.  See attached file.  To complete the task, you'll need to create some 2D plan-view graphics to "heal" the wall around the cut...

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 3.35.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 3.42.00 PM.png

Curved_Opening.vwx

Edited by Wes Gardner
On 3/10/2017 at 10:00 AM, Mac B Designs said:

Is it possible to create an opening(6'8" height) in a wall and have a straight top but have the corners curved?

Can I not achieve this solution?  I have been trying to use the door tool.

Any ideas

Mac,

There was a great wall opening tool from the Vector Depot website, which I've attached. Only problem is, it doesn't work in later versions of VW. It was a valuable tool for me when I was on 2013. When I move to v2016, I had to let it go. It accomplished exactly what you're looking for, so maybe someone on the forum who understands scripting can update it for the later releases. 

Here's how it works:

After creating the opening in the wall, you could select from a bunch of different shape profiles in the OIP, or it allowed you to select from one of your own profile symbols. I used this all the time for Spanish Colonial projects, which rely on lots of fancy arch and scroll profiles when making opening in typical plaster walls. The tool also allows you to add an opening ID, which comes in handy if you need to create an open ventilation schedule.

Before I had this tool, I used the "3D Wall Hole" method previously described. I find it to be very tedious. The wall opening plug-in is definitely the answer you're looking for.

Below, I've copied the actual listing from Vector Depot to give create to its inventor:

A tool to create several styles of wall openings. When a door is too much this tool fits the bill. Creates openings with various top shapes. Even creates round openings. Petri Sakkinen VW 2008 or higher

Wall Opening.vso

Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 10.38.50 PM.png