Plant List Catagories

shasta

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This is certainly possible, but it requires some advanced knowledge of creating VectorWorks database worksheets. The information is not in the VectorWorks LandMark manual, but in the VectorWorks reference manual.

Basically, the current Plant List creates a list of everything in the document that has a record attached called Plant Record. In database criteria terms, this can be expressed:

=database(R IN ['Plant Record'])

What you want is a Plant List that contains only certain items that have the Plant Record attached. Specifically, you might want only records where the Plant Category field in the Plant Record is "Trees". Here's how you would express that:

=database('Plant Record'.'Plant Category' = 'Trees')

These expressions should go in the Criteria field in the database row of your worksheet. For more information on what this means, you'll have to spend some time reviewing the worksheet chapter in the VectorWorks reference manual.

I think I'm on to something easier (for me) to visualize:

1. Make sure that all trees are on a layer called 'Trees'

2. All shrubs on a layer called 'Shrubs'

3. Again for each plant type.

4. Select a Plant List from the Resources window and add one to the drawing. Double click the Plant List you wish to modify to edit it.

5. Make sure 'Database Headers' is selected from the arrow shaped pull-down.

6. Select the Database Row (seems to default as row 3).

7. Hold-down a LEFT-click on the Row # (3) until more options display; select 'Set Criteria...'

8. Select the field 'Name' and change it to 'Layer' 'is'

9. Select the layer you want to display (Trees, Shrubs etc.) from the toggle on the right.

It now displays only the plants on the selected layers. There seem to be a few things to work out from here, like how it changes the criteria on both lists if you have more than one of the same type. I think renaming each one will solve that issue...

I'm actually having quite a bit of trouble with gettting 2 plant list based on the same style (simple) to display the individualized content (trees, shrubs etc.). I've gotten pretty comfortable with getting an an individual plant list to display what I want, but when I've got 2 there it's another story....