Planting Help

Hi Guys,

I am trying to produce a planting plan where the plants are placed as a round circles, the 2d graphics for plants in Vectorworks are utterly hideous 90% of the time. 

Also is there a way to select a plant directly from the plant database in conjunction with the what I'm trying to achieve above.

Regards

Stu

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can edit a Plant object, choose to edit the 2D Graphics and place any geometry you like there, including circles. Since you'll be using a Plant object still in that case, you can select any Plant definition you like and customize it to appear the way you need.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Would either of you mind posting some image examples of what you consider to be excellent or otherwise not-hideous linework for plant objects? I can forward it directly to the content team.

(My personal artistic tastes are very limited, so I leave this to you all!)

• 8 months later...
On 3/9/2017 at 7:25 AM, Stu Wilson said:

Hi Guys,

I am trying to produce a planting plan where the plants are placed as a round circles, the 2d graphics for plants in Vectorworks are utterly hideous 90% of the time. 

Also is there a way to select a plant directly from the plant database in conjunction with the what I'm trying to achieve above.

Regards

Stu

@Stu Wilson

Not sure if you have resolved this by now but I have a similar issue in that for Construction Documents the fancy graphics are too much. Having also been in the field as an installer I prefer simpler graphics and one of my Clients also prefers simple graphics. For this reason we have created custom symbols that simply have different shapes at the centers to differentiate plants from one another. It is really very simple to create your own by starting with one of the less "hideous" and draft your own shapes. 

You can review the class attributes of the plant symbols and adjust them as needed- use the graphics of the plants as a study and improve them as desired.  Think of them as inspiration and make them better.......

You can add graphics to these plant symbols and tie the new graphics to classes so you can adjust the planting when in schematic, design development or permit/construction drawings- also consider the 3D graphics of each plant symbol.