Question

The program is very unstable and keeps crashing and even after setting up auto save for every 3 tasks, when it crashes I lose all of my work and not able to recover it. I have called tech support about this they seem not to be able to fix it and try to blame it on my computer. I have a very high powered machine with a R 480 Video card and a AMD crosshair V, 8 core processor and 24 gig of memory. So it's not my computer, is there anyone who has had this problem and is there a solution? 

6 answers to this question

I have it save to my slave drive (D). I did also save to a folder on my desk top but it does not seem to matter where I save it when the crash happens which at least 2 during a session I lose all my 'new' work unless I save it manually to a folder. But I usually have a crash and will lose all of the last saved. The main problem is the programs instability and how do I get it to stop crashing and the problems with 'black' screens and 'not responding' errors? Can't get any work done this way! 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
12 minutes ago, Gary Krause Landscaping said:

No it crashes when I am drawing anything not when it is saving. I think the problem is how my graphics card and the program interact. In other words your software does not like my graphics card or is not compatible. I have not been able to find anything in FAQ or knowledge base. 

12 minutes ago, Gary Krause Landscaping said:

I have it save to my slave drive (D). I did also save to a folder on my desk top but it does not seem to matter where I save it when the crash happens which at least 2 during a session I lose all my 'new' work unless I save it manually to a folder. But I usually have a crash and will lose all of the last saved. The main problem is the programs instability and how do I get it to stop crashing and the problems with 'black' screens and 'not responding' errors? Can't get any work done this way! 

Reply back with this from your machine please, I can take a look:

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
54 minutes ago, Gary Krause Landscaping said:

Ok here you go. Tech support and I have gone over this before and they said it looks good.

DxDiag.txt

Please respond by replying in this thread, not by posting on individual profiles. 

Download and install the following (The first item marked "Radeon Software"), then reboot your machine:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64

After rebooting, launch Vectorworks and user Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display, set Navigation Graphics to Best Compatibility. Close Vectorworks and then relaunch. Let me know if the same frequency of crashing occurs or if it changes.

Been there done that actually several times and my  Radeon Software is up to date with the latest drivers. Radeon Software Version - 17.2.1
Radeon Software Edition - Crimson ReLive
Graphics Chipset - Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics
Memory Size - 8192 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 1288 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 24 GB
CPU Type - AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor
I currently have it setup to Best Compatibility. I just had to exit out of the program because it was getting very unstable and the 'not responding' error was occurring more frequently, also black screens. So I saved and closed the Vectorworks. Everything you are suggesting has already been tried several times with tech support but never resolves the problems.