Terrain model section has no fill

Jakerhp

Question

Hi Guys,

I am creating section viewports through a proposed terrain model with site modifiers all over it.

sometimes when I create the viewport, the section through the terrain shows as solid as per my request, and other times using the EXACT same settings, the terrain section is shown as hollow or white.

FYI- I am not displaying anything pas the cut line and i have selected separate sections to have the appearance of a class with a SOLID fill

Using VW17 at the moment, and to be honest the version of VW doesn't seem to make a difference with my problem.

please see example attached.

Please help!!

section going wrong.png

• Like 1

17 answers to this question

@JakerhpHi, Could you post a file for us to look at . From you attached image it would be difficult to diagnose the problem. Rather than clutter up the forum with verbose dialogue most people will post an answer if they have a solution.

Also as part of your signature it helps to place the version of VW you are using and whether a Mac or PC.

Thanks

• Like 1
On 16/03/2017 at 8:51 PM, Alan Woodwell said:

@JakerhpHi, Could you post a file for us to look at . From you attached image it would be difficult to diagnose the problem. Rather than clutter up the forum with verbose dialogue most people will post an answer if they have a solution.

Also as part of your signature it helps to place the version of VW you are using and whether a Mac or PC.

Thanks

Thanks Alan, 

A bit childish of me to post a sarcastic comment on my own post, I was just very frustrated with Vectorworks, and after 8 days I still received no help :(

Unfortunately the file was way to big to upload, in the end i had to draw over it in the viewport as annotation.

Im more than confident it will happen again, perhaps i will reattempt this question in another post one day, with no ungrateful remarks.

A DTM in VW is no real Solid.

So they do some magic to create filled section surfaces.

I also had problems with sections without fill and others with fill appearing.

And I do not completely understand what happens.

I assume the fill will not show when your section will cross any Pad Modifiers (?)

Yes and no,

Its strange, It is intersecting modifiers and yet sometimes it shows as a fill, and other times it will not, I dont know if its a bug or wether its my internal origin setting.

I actually turn off the DTM class when creating a section (in the viewport) so the section viewport is only showing the modified terrain.

5 hours ago, Alan Woodwell said:

@jakerhp

Hi, I have uploaded a short video to my Youtube channel that hopefully answers your question.

If not let me know and i will see what i can do.

:)

https://youtu.be/vXbX_xfRSF0

Thank you for your effort and compliments there Alan, You should see the model now! I ended up exporting it to a 3D web view and successfully walked around it with my 3D VR goggles!

However, I am familiar with the settings your video ran through and had previously tried changing the classes etc. I have attached a screen shot to show you that I am still having the same problem even after ensuring I followed your instructions precisely.

I have attached 3 screen shots.

1 shows the section still with no fill

1 shows the section with a little bit of fill after increasing the minimum elevation

1 is just me showing you what the finished site model looked like

Thanks again, and thank you in advance for any further help you can be.

finished_site_model.png

Section.png

section 2.png

On 10/31/2017 at 4:49 PM, zoomer said:

I assume the fill will not show when your section will cross any Pad Modifiers (?)

I am currently having the problems the OP describes.

It seems to be as @zoomer describes above, the fill disappears from those sections which cross site modifiers (in my case 'spoil piles').

Did any solutions to this arise?

• Like 1

@line-weight  I ended up getting around this temporarily by either moving the section line by 5mm (which worked sometimes, I'd then re-open the file to find no fill again) or by manually drawing on the fill i needed, which of course should not be necessary and was wasted time.

I will try your method out soon and see if it works, we are now on 2019 so perhaps they fixed the bug?! Ill have to check the old file to find out. Will post here with further updates.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jakerhp said:

@line-weight  I ended up getting around this temporarily by either moving the section line by 5mm (which worked sometimes, I'd then re-open the file to find no fill again) or by manually drawing on the fill i needed, which of course should not be necessary and was wasted time.

I will try your method out soon and see if it works, we are now on 2019 so perhaps they fixed the bug?! Ill have to check the old file to find out. Will post here with further updates.

Thanks, I'd be interested to know if it works for you.

I also tried moving section lines slightly, and had the same result as you: sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

We'll see whether this latest fix actually works, or breaks again, next time I edit the model...

@Jakerhp you might have seen from the other thread that that fix didn't work on another model.

However - another thing to try: make the DTM such that no point along its edge is higher than any point within it. (I did this by drawing a 3d polygon around all of the source data, with elevation 0. Then cropping the model so this edge wasn't visible). This seems to have fixed 99% of my sections. (So far)