Sign in to follow this  
mattOC

Renderworks texture on extruded "sides"

Question

I was noodling around with a chair design and what I've discovered is that when rendering with a custom texture, what would be the face (though is actually the side of the chair) renders accordingly while the top of the chair ( the extruded part) renders funky.  I get the difference between the surfaces, but how does one render the extruded part of a 3d object to match the face surface?

I tried the extract tool and since the extruded side is curved as you'll see in the attached pic, it's doesn't work that well.

Is a better way to do this with edit subdivision? 58bf575d501fd_ScreenShot2017-03-07at7_59_55PM.png.379465e368a76c0f8c512861bd40607d.png

Thanks for the help!

-M

5 answers to this question

What mapping type are the chair and arm rests set to? Plane or Auto Align?

You're hitting an issue that currently isn't addressed well by Vectorworks' texture mapping tools, there are a number of wishlist items in to improve them, but for now there are a few things we can try. If you can post that object in a sample VWX file I can take a closer look as well.

You'll need to move the extracted surface off of the original, they're currently right on top of each other. You may also want to use Shell on the extracted surfaces to give them a thickness so that they're a little easier to work with, something very small like .2" should be fine at this scale.

Unfortunately with Chamfers and Fillets (what your chair's arms are made of) there isn't a good solution for texture mapping.

Got it, thanks.

Is there a better way to make this shape in general?  sub- divisions?

thanks,

M

2 minutes ago, mattOC said:

Got it, thanks.

Is there a better way to make this shape in general?  sub- divisions?

thanks,

M

HOW you constructed the original solid is perfectly fine, you've done nothing wrong, it's really our texturing abilities that are lacking here. A Subdivision object could make this figure as well, but it would have a separate set of texture-related limitations.