mattOC

Rendering Viewport turns everything black

Still having this issue in 2018. And its a lot more than Jim's 1 in 50 times. More like 1 in 5 for me. Restart works, but often it takes 2 restarts as Rnderworks will not load on the first restart. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2018 at 3:36 PM, SeanOSkea said:

Restart works, but often it takes 2 restarts as Rnderworks will not load on the first restart. 

Just a thought @SeanOSkea; Maybe you won't need to restart Vectorworks twice if you wait a bit longer before relaunching it. 

When I prescribe users to restart Vectorworks I usually stipulate that they wait at least 10 seconds before relaunching it. It's not a computer-science-degree validated strategy, but is derived from observation and experience. If you watch the memory consumption in Task Manager (Windows) or Activity Monitor (Mac) when quitting Vectorworks; You'll see the memory it consumed takes a few seconds to get released. I get uneasy when I see users click to re-launch Vectorworks as soon as the application window has disappeared because my history with computers suggests this is less-okay than being patient and allowing the computer to complete [certain types of] tasks before starting another. How I think this might relate to your need to restart Vectorworks twice; If you relaunch Vectorworks before it's finished releasing the memory it consumed some of it may remain intact, possibly retaining whatever issue you're seeking to clear out. 

I just did a simple test to which appears to validate at least half my reasoning: 

On a Windows 10 laptop with an HDD, using Vectorworks 2018 SP4

1. Restarted computer
  2. Launched Vectorworks     (1:36 to load) 
  3. Once fully loaded, quit Vectorworks 
  4. Immediately launched Vectorworks again (0:37 to load) 
  5. Once fully loaded, quit Vectorworks
  6. Waited 37 seconds (memory level for 32 seconds)
  7. Launched Vectorworks again (0:46 to load) 

These time differences seem to indicate less data is being loaded if Vectorworks is relaunched before it's finished releasing the memory it consumed. I'm keen to hear if this bears out. Comments, corroborative or alternative results anyone? 

Edited by Jeremy Best
Amendment/clarification.

On 8/25/2018 at 11:36 PM, SeanOSkea said:

Still having this issue in 2018. And its a lot more than Jim's 1 in 50 times. More like 1 in 5 for me. Restart works, but often it takes 2 restarts as Rnderworks will not load on the first restart. 

Do you have this issue of Renderworks not starting in the beginning often? Which platform are you on and which version of the OS? 

Hey y'all, we're trying to nail this bug down for a while. Which platform are you using? What version of OS? Do you see CineRenderNEM in the activity monitor when you get the black viewports? Is renderworks usable at all after you get a black viewport? Or is it just that viewport? When you see black a few seconds after pressing update, does the final rendering kick in after a while? Do you have a surefire way to make it happen reliably?

I've realized that sometimes when I update a number of viewports with a big model, I get black instead of the progress images, but the final rendering eventually kicks in once they are all finished. 

If you don't see CineRender running in the activity monitor, the only workaround would be restarting Vectorworks. 

VW 18 SP4     I7-8700k  3.70 (oc to 4)    32RAM  GTX 1080   Wind 10 

I'll look for the CineRender next time it happens. I've just been preemptively saving and restarting before I do a FQ render lately. They seem to go a little quicker after a 'refresh' too. I can't wait for multi-threading next month!!! 

Did you see my post about the disappearing textures? That's a long running problem too. 

Thanks 

Sean 

Oh I forgot the other part of your question. No, it renders for a few seconds then its black and stays black. OGL is fine but any RW style doesn't do anything but black. I haven't had the issue in VPs using Hidden line etc--"drafting". Only in renderings. 

Sean

16 hours ago, Jeremy Best said:

Just a thought @SeanOSkea; Maybe you won't need to restart Vectorworks twice if you wait a bit longer before relaunching it. 

Interesting. I've noticed big load time differences as well as noticeable differences in renders and updates. I'll have a big Custom RW render take 2 hours then I'll move a few things around and render again with same settings it it will finish in half the time. I just assumed other stuff was going on in the background on my PC. I'm terrible about having too many things open at the same time. I'll watch for that. 

I was having this problem with my newest version of a file that had gone through many, many revisions.  The only thing I could think that was different from before the issue began, was the addition of about a thousand 3/4" 3D hemispheres.  After many hours of trying different things with no luck, I deleted those hemispheres, and the issue disappeared.  I can, again, render all of my view ports.  So I guess there is a limit to what RenderWorks is able to accomplish with view port rendering.  

So if you have created some very intricate elements or perhaps grouped some intricate elements together, try walking them back to see where you last were able to render.  

Cheers,

Tim