VW2017 project sharing and LW6 failure

Mickey

Question

Does anyone here use Lightwright?

If you're like me and rely on it as part of your work flow then I hope you don't have to use the new Project Sharing tools.

Unfortunately all of my clients are now using it because we all share documents via one of the big cloud storage services. Google Drive, Dropbox, One Drive, etc ...

Nemetschek why do you constantly do this to us?

You make something new, and break something old at the same time.

Lightwright is such an important part of how I manage data in my lighting plot.

For those that don't know project sharing uses an XML  file as a database to document changes. So does Lightwright.

If you turn on data sharing in VW, and LW then the XML file gets corrupted, and the master project file will get corrupted too.

I know because I just gained popularity by corrupting a project file a bunch of people were sharing.

Yeah Me.

Has anyone found a work around?

I'm going to try to create a 2nd file and reference in the lighting fixtures from my working file. I don't know if this is going to work, but I have to try something.

4 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, JimW said:

Submitted as a bug: VB-138065

Hi Jim.

i see these bug and issue reports going in, and being assigned ticket numbers, but is there anywhere that us users can go to read the list, see progress, workarounds and updates on these issues?

like many others, waiting for nearly four months from sp2, six months from release with unaddressed faults and an information vacuum is quite frustrating. To see some progress report, or knowing that the issues pertinent to the user are being looked at would restore a lot of faith I'm sure.

It would certainly help to curb questions like "any ETA on sp3 yet? Or reasons why it's delayed so long?" Coming up again and again.

just a thought. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 minutes ago, RussU said:

Hi Jim.

i see these bug and issue reports going in, and being assigned ticket numbers, but is there anywhere that us users can go to read the list, see progress, workarounds and updates on these issues?

Not yet, no. I want there to be for exactly the reasons you provided.

• Like 1
On 3/5/2017 at 2:52 PM, Mickey said:

Does anyone here use Lightwright?

If you're like me and rely on it as part of your work flow then I hope you don't have to use the new Project Sharing tools.

Unfortunately all of my clients are now using it because we all share documents via one of the big cloud storage services. Google Drive, Dropbox, One Drive, etc ...

Nemetschek why do you constantly do this to us?

You make something new, and break something old at the same time.

Lightwright is such an important part of how I manage data in my lighting plot.

For those that don't know project sharing uses an XML  file as a database to document changes. So does Lightwright.

If you turn on data sharing in VW, and LW then the XML file gets corrupted, and the master project file will get corrupted too.

I know because I just gained popularity by corrupting a project file a bunch of people were sharing.

Yeah Me.

Has anyone found a work around?

I'm going to try to create a 2nd file and reference in the lighting fixtures from my working file. I don't know if this is going to work, but I have to try something.

I did come up with a work around, and wrote about it on the Lightwright forum.

http://lightwright.boards.net/post/429/thread