Web Based VW (kind of)

digitalcarbon

Question

imagine an web based type of modeler, works similar to vw

has the collaboration like onshape (anyone can be invited into the model to work)

so i need to make many stairs for a big project.  so, instead of me using the stair tool, i hire a "stair person" who works for many other people making stairs

he is invited into my model and makes all the stairs for me by direct modeling and/or assembly of stair parts from a company ready for bill of materials etc

so the ultimate "tools" are not parametric tools that can do everything (never going to happen & you are wasting your time)

instead i need a modeling universe that allows me to invite human beings "the ultimate tool" to:

collaborate in real time

in 3d

make intelligent products (this is stored in the cloud for all cloud users to access like sketch-up warehouse & has a 5 star rating system)

make materials (this is stored in the cloud for all cloud users to access like sketch-up warehouse & has a 5 star rating system)

with no importing/exporting or updating (team members work directly in the model)

allow me to invite non-team members to harvest info from model for free (team members pay subscription)

this modeling universe would stay open for the life of the building

it starts with:

concept designs

design development

construction drawings

construction administration

building operations

remodeling 

etc

so the modeling universe needs to span many years and not have yearly version upgrades  

with all the above, and more, it becomes clear that vw should not just be ported over to the web with a "vw is now on the web" mentality 

but a completely new paradigm shift in thinking needs to happen.

i want to work on this development team (for whatever company that has this vision)

7 answers to this question

I think the collaboration can already be done by VW project sharing + Dropbox.

At least I heard that students use it here quite successfully for their group projects.

The second is your plugin critique.

I also vote for a simpler and more flexible approach of these Tools.

Currently they are complicated and tedious to setup, can cover a lot of cases,

but there are even more cases where they will fail.

So plugin usage or not at all,

adding BIM information to custom geometry could be better and edit ability of standard solid

geometry should be much better.

(Edit more than one element at one time, real 3D behaviour and such)