Viewport creation issues

kklik

Question

Hi,

I'm having a problem creating viewports on a sheet layer that appears intermittently.

On the sheet layer I create a bounding box around the objects I want to show (top plan view) and hit "create Viewport" in the View drop down menu. The normal dialog appears and when I hit OK without changing anything I get a message saying " That viewport is already being used by another object. Please use a different name".

Starting again and changing the name in the Create Viewport pane brings up the same error message.

I can create the same viewport, without changing the name in the dialogue box, on a different sheet layer and then send it to my required sheet layer without any problems.

Not a big problem but it messes up the workflow.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Regards

Knut

6 answers to this question

Sorry I'm kinda dumb with VW, but when you say you created a bounding box, did you use the rectangle tool or is there another tool hide somewhere? Are you trying to create a viewport over another viewport? I tried with the rectangle tool but received an entirely different message.  I have to start with View>create viewport, then set up a crop for the viewport.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 3/3/2017 at 2:27 AM, kklik said:

Hi,

I'm having a problem creating viewports on a sheet layer that appears intermittently.

On the sheet layer I create a bounding box around the objects I want to show (top plan view) and hit "create Viewport" in the View drop down menu. The normal dialog appears and when I hit OK without changing anything I get a message saying " That viewport is already being used by another object. Please use a different name".

Starting again and changing the name in the Create Viewport pane brings up the same error message.

I can create the same viewport, without changing the name in the dialogue box, on a different sheet layer and then send it to my required sheet layer without any problems.

Not a big problem but it messes up the workflow.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Regards

Knut

Do you have a class, layer or any symbols or other resources named exactly "Viewport" anywhere in your file?