Worksheet font reverts to Geneva

We are having trouble with one VW 10.5 file on Mac OS 10.2.8 in regards to printing a worksheet.

All text in the file is set to Palatino font including the worksheet font, and all fonts are displaying perfectly on the screen. But when we plot the sheet to our HP800PS, the font in the worksheet (the "On Drawing" box is checked) reverts to Geneva font on the print. All the other fonts on the sheet outside of the worksheet print fine in Palatino.

Next, we opened the worksheet, and printed the worksheet itself to our laser printer using the worksheet menu, and got the same results. The worksheet looked fine in Palatino on the screen but came out of the laser printer in Geneva.

We exported the file back to version 9.5.3 and printed it from there, and it printed fine in Palatino to either printer.

We then converted this version 9 file back to version 10.5 and printed it again. The worksheet went back to Geneva on the print.

Thoughts, anyone? I don't want to have to export back to version 9 every time we plot.

Raylibby,

Thanks for the response. I had since done a search and found plenty of threads on this myself. Guess I should search before posting.

But most of the posts suggest this is an OS thing. How can this be when the file prints fine fro VW 9.5.3 running on OS 10.2.8? I t seems to me the problem is with Vectorworks 10, not the OS.

I tried font mapping Palatino back to Palatino as one thread suggested. That changed nothing.

I am leary to switch to TT fonts as I remember the havoc this created back in OS 9 with ATM. Font line spacing was different between TrueType and PostScript fonts back then. Maybe that is no longer a problem in OS10.

Since my worksheet prints fine in VW 9 but not in VW 10, both running on OS 10.2.8, does this suggest that Apple has fixed the font problem and Nemetschek's substitution work around is no longer needed?

In th Meanwhile, I guess I will rtry to locate a TrueType version of Palatino, I am sure I have one somewhere.

Katie,

All of our worksheets print fine in VW 9.5.3 running on OS 10.2.8 with the same PostScript fonts installed that we have been using for years. The problem only surfaces with worksheets in VW 10.5.

I have, however, removed the PostScript Palatino font from my system, and replaced it with a TrueType Palatino, and now the worksheet prints fine in VW 10.

Fortunately, all of our worksheets are done in Palatino, so that will take care of the worksheet problem for us.

Part of the problem with OS X is that fonts are stored in three different folders, so you could have three different copies of the same font in different locations and not realize it.

Most of our PostScript fonts are in our old OS 9 fonts folder, but we need fonts there to print from Classic which we still do occasionally.

Oh well, some day we will get through the era of software transition and get some Architecture done.

[Wink]

Peter,

In PANTHER (OS 10.3.x) fonts are supposedley much easier to deal with. I agree that having them in three places is really lame! One way to work with it is to make sure that you only add fonts to your USER>LIBRARY>FONTS and leave the SYSTEM>LIBRARY>FONTS unchanged.

Once you get used to it, and work out the little things, you will LOVE OSX. It is so much more stable than OS 9. And it looks cool too!

Have Fun,

Peter Cipes

You should have the same problem in VW 953 using non-true type fonts.

Under OS 10, true type fonts are the recommended font type. ATM fonts are no longer supported under OS 10 and can cause printing problems, as well as corrupted font suitcases.

we also had the font problem with worksheets in VW 10 when not using TT fonts but have cleared it up by switching to a TT font.

About where to keep fonts, if you have multiple users on a computer it is easiest to keep fonts that are firm wide in the Harddrive >> Library >>Fonts folder and allow the User folder for user specific fonts. If you are still using OS9 you still need copies in that system folder.