(not so) basic questions

shasta

I'm a new user with VW 10 Landmark on an PC running XP. I used MiniCAD a long time ago and have been using AutoCAD off and on since.

What I'd like to do is create a file that contains a master set of symbols, each associated with unique plant info, that I can use (and update as needed) in each new project. Basically I want to make a master 'plant catalog' file that I can access thru the Resources menu in other files. The manual seems to gloss over the details of doing this. For instance, it says '2D or 3D symbols moved into these folders become available for selection in the Define Plant dialog box" but doesn't tell you HOW to move symbols into the folders. I tried seaching the hard-drive but found no such folders. What I need is a sort of 'making a master plant file for a complete idiot' step-by-step.

And if that wasn't enough, I can't get the plants to display their tags....

Thank You All Very Much!!!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You're right, the manual is a little light in this area. However, the process is straightforward:

1. Create your plant catalog master document.

2. To begin a new project with all the plant catalog data in place, either:

2.1 Make the file you created in 1 a "template" document (done by using the "Save as Template" command,) and use this template to start your project, or

2.2 Import from the file you created in 1 the symbol folder called the "System folder". This contains all your plant symbols and definitions.

As to your other question, make sure your plant has a tag style defined in the Define Plant dialog box. If that is the case, then you should be able to individually show a plant tag using the "Tag Display" parameter in the Object Info palette, or you can do this for all the plants in your document by using the "Show or Hide Plant Tags" command on the View menu.

Thanks, I'll try that today. I've gotten tags to display now but I have an new glitch: I created a small plant in the catalog (1') to represent a groundcover type. I chose 'triangular layout' after setting the spacing, made the polygon, and got an error. I looked at the details of the error and found the following: "Error:_0_79- you must ALLOCATE the dynarray before using it" After making me repeatedly (3 or 4 times) hit 'OK' in the error box, it finally drew the array of plants inside the shape and allowed me to tag it. What's going on???

Also, is there any way to change the tag so it displays no decimal digits in the count? They come out as "1.00 APM" and I like "1 APM" And, how do I move/change shape of a plant's tag line without moving the plant? They seem to want to edit together....

Sorry for all the ????'s but there will be more....

Please report the first error to bugsubmit@nemetschek.net if you can reproduce it and/or provide a file that reliably reproduces it. Try closing the document, restarting VectorWorks, then re-open your document and see if it still occurs. Also try using different placement modes with the Place Plant tool and see if it recurs.

We're working on the decimal points issue for a future version.

To move a plant's tag, look for the "control point" that occurs on the leader of the tag, just at the juction between the sloped and level part of the tag. Click right on this point and drag to move the tag without moving the plant.

Thanks for the fast response; I'm going to try the template method today. As for the 'System' folder, how do I do what the manual says regarding "2D or 3D symbols moved into these folders become available for selection in the Define Plant dialog box"? Are they just dragged?

I'll just tried the tag suggestion but hit a 'runtime' error (I get lots of those!) when I failed to see a tag display after setting it and double clicked on the symbol and went into an edit mode. The error occured when I tried to exit the edit mode by pressing that button. I'll try again later....

Thanks Again!

When you create a symbol, you have the option of placing it in the ~2D_PSyms or ~3D_PSyms folder if they already exist. If you're importing symbols, bring them in, then right-click on each symbol and move it to the ~2D_PSyms or ~3D_PSyms folder using the "move" contextual command.