Viewport Class Properties issue override

Apologies in advance as this is quite long winded..

I've noticed some weird behaviour when trying to alter the way classes appear in certain viewports, through the viewport class properties panel.

Essentially my understanding is that if I have class 'test 1' set to display by class (all aspects, i.e. fill and lines), then I can override the appearance of geometry on this class from say 'green with red outline' to 'yellow with blue outline'. I could also choose to display these items with a hatch instead of a solid fill, etc.

However, if the class is NOT set to display by class, then its appearance cannot be overridden in a viewport. It would be good if this could be changed, so that ANY geometry could accept an override via the viewports own properties.

This isn't my main query though. Now bare with me..

If I take some geometry on class 'test 1' and give it a solid colour (not fill by class), THEN set it to hatch by class, I should be able to override the fill in the viewport properties panel. This does work - partially - but the item retains the solid colour it was given before it was changed to a hatch.

Essentially this means the item has hidden information contained within it, namely a fill colour, which effects how it behaves even if it is set to display a fill of say, hatch by class.

I guess my query is, is this a bug or is this working as intended? It can be quite irritating, as in order to tell if each item has a fill colour attached (i.e. not fill colour by class), you have to look through each item individually (from hatch, tile, etc.). As a followup an add to wishlist, although perhaps someone can suggest me a more concise way of saying this for the wishlist item..

Thanks!

Edited by Asemblance
Clarity