"Dumb" 3D Models to play nicer with "Smart" 3D Models

Jim Smith

Question

This is a request that comes from my post in the Architecture Area:

I would like "Dumb" 3D Models (3D shapes)  to have an enhanced ability to get converted to "Smart" 3D Models i.e.  a Model of Walls, Doors, Windows, Roofs etcetera. Presently this only works, to a degree, and only with the outline of the 3D Model. Specifically I would like to be able to take a 3D Model made from basic 3D & reshaped polygons and apply openings to the Model that could then be transformed into PIO's.

To my simple mind, this would allow those who presently use Sketch-up as a Mass Model tool to skip SU all together and just use VW. It would also give us who presently mostly work in 3D, but in Plan with the Wall tool a more fluid workflow choice. 

2 answers to this question

Very cool Alan! Not what I have in mind but very cool.

I want to be free of the 2D plan shape I want to  play in 3D; create 3D shapes,  openings (doors, windows and roofs) & be able to convert the 3D shape C/W openings into a a series of Walls, & openings that I can then edit, move & change. Just like our normal 3D model.

I guess what best describes what I'd like to see is this:

A VW process that allows one to draw in 3D in basic shapes  à la  SU that then allows the 3D Shape drawn as a "3D VW SU model" to be converted to VW PIO's. 

Presently one may make a 3D model  à la  SU in VW, but the ability to convert the "DUMB" SU style Model to the kind of "SMART" 3D model that many of us use, just isn't quite there.

:)

Edited by Jim Smith