Extrude as path extremely laggy

sww1235

Question

Hello:

I am attempting to create a curved built-in bookshelf using extrude along path. I created the profile as a 2d polygon and am using a polyline converted to a 3d polygon in order to gain a z parameter, as the path.

This is a fairly simple path and profile, yet it takes upwards of 30 minutes to generate, all the while vectorworks is frozen and I get a spinning beach ball. Luckily I am able to use other applications on my computer as normal, but vectorworks is reported as "application not responding" until the process is complete.

Once the EAP operation is complete, the file is still very laggy in both 2d and 3d views. In an attempt to make the file less laggy, I converted the EAP object to a group of 3d polygons and simplified them by 1 inch, but this results in very weird texture rendering unlike the EAP solid. This does almost completely eliminate the lag associated with the EAP

In the file attached, the path and profile objects are on the Extrude Primitives layer, the extrude test layer contains the completed extrude, and the polygons layer contains the grouped 3d polygons generated from converting the EAP object.

EDIT: I know that my hardware specs are not the greatest, but vectorworks runs fine except for this issue as long as I don't try and do crazy OpenGL or renderworks fanciness.

EDIT 2: I realized I forgot to upload the file and attach it, and in the process I realized that it is 236Mb. This would potentially explain why it is so laggy, but why would an EAP object, 2 polygons and the extracted group of polygons be over 200Mb. My other file that I was originally trying this in is only around 155Mb and contains loads more geometry and PIOs.

Dropbox link to file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/izc6u2d5m4koqob/extrude-test.vwx?dl=0

Thanks in advance.

Edited by sww1235
Attaching file

10 answers to this question

16 hours ago, sww1235 said:

am attempting to create a curved built-in bookshelf using extrude along path. I created the profile as a 2d polygon and am using a polyline converted to a 3d polygon in order to gain a z parameter, as the path.

Don't use 3d polygons. If you right click on the EAP and choose edit path you can see the conversion to 3d polygons created a piece of geometry with way too many points.58b304944ecb4_ScreenShot2017-02-26at8_35_03AM.png.f1b4f2d4f4f2cb9b928468058d878642.png

In this instance you don't actually need to convert the path to anything. The conversion to EAP will do it for you, converting it to NURBS. I would recommend always using NURBS curves anyway if you need 3d paths. See attached file for an example using just a simple arc instead of your converted arc. If you edit the path you'll see VW converted it to a NURBS curve which only has a couple of points.

Remember that VW is not a polygon modeller and is not optimized for dealing with polygons in the way you're using them.

Alan's method of building a single shelf in plan and duplicating an array to create the stack would also be a good approach. Add extrudes starting in plan for the verticals. Alternately you could also create the shelves with a sweep since its a radius based curve.

Kevin

extrude-test KM.vwx

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Like 2

@Alan WoodwellThanks for the tip about the deform tool. It worked out well after some playing around with it. 

A followup question, I have assigned the resulting generic solid to a class with a wood texture assigned. However the generic solid is rendered as wireframe only. I have checked the render tab and it is set appropriately to class texture and document default.

Any suggestions? 

@Alan WoodwellThe even weirder thing is that I have 2 additional solid sections, both assigned to the exact same class with the exact same settings, and they pick up on the texture just fine. Its only this new one that does not.

I tossed the file with issues in dropbox as it is too large to upload directly to the forums. The class in question is Furniture-Built In-Bookshelves. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aafnnap56li56js/wizards-tower.vwx?dl=0

Thank you everyone for all your help. This forum is probably one of the most helpful I have ever participated in.

11 hours ago, sww1235 said:

Thank you everyone for all your help. This forum is probably one of the most helpful I have ever participated in.

Agreed.  This made me remember my opposite experiences from the support forum for another piece of software I use a lot.  One time, I posted asking about how to achieve a certain result by combining some records in a database, and the response I got from multiple people was "Why don't you think about what you want to do and then figure out a way to achieve that".  Super helpful.