Modeling a facetted counter

tsw

Hello,

I'm wondering if someone might have some pointers for how to go about modeling a geometric/facetted counter like in the attached images. I tried experimenting with a subdivision object with edge creases, but it's somewhat cumbersome to add additional faces.

Thanks for your help!

dzn_ms-cafe-by-Wunderteam-17.jpg

dzn_ms-cafe-by-Wunderteam-6.jpg

Edited by tsw
  • Like 1

i did try this..created a shape and then created a 1mm sq and created depth.....then did a multiple extrude.....did try it with a 3d loci but couldn't get it to work

i guess to apply a woodgrain texture you would have to use the extract face tool but if the bar was laminated it could leave a nice check line where the laminate meets

if the units were set correctly you could get the sq down to .5 of a millimetre.......

facetted.vwx

image capture15.jpg

My preference may just be based on my historical use of NURBS. I've used them for years for both 3d lines (from the pre-planar days) and surfaces. Maybe its also tied to my preference to use the polyline tool over the 2d polygon tool (except the paintbucket mode which I use all the time.... ironically it often creates polylines :D).

Surfaces made with 3d polygons always triangulate when you create a polygon with more than 3 points. Essentially you are making meshes.

I like that NURBS can be Stitched & Trimmed, Rebuilt, Extended, Shelled, Projected/Trimmed, Lofted etc. and that they import/export pretty reliably. They also seem more efficient when you have a lot of them (not sure if that's based in reality). The other thread where the user was having issues with the EAP and he had converted the path to a 3d Poly would be an example.

That and I've drawn a lot of tent theatres with NURBS....

I'm sure both have their place :)

Kevin

• Like 2