Sloped walls

AlanW

Question

4 answers to this question

Unfortunately it is not possible for a wall feature to go all the way to the end, or to wrap corners. The initial concept of wall features is amazing, but this (meh implementation) pretty much kills it for me. I have filed numerous requests for this to be fixed, but so far it hasn't happened. I'm assuming that this is a difficult programming problem because it has been such a long-standing issue (since wall features were first introduced). But I am ever hopeful that someday this will work as expected.

• Like 1

Solid subtraction is a stoopid workaround (that's Scandinavian for ridiculous).  Objects in Wall seem to duplicate during the SS. A copy of the door or window exists as a selectable object outside of the SS.  Also, if mods are needed to the wall, I think the SS has to be ungrouped, work on the wall, then subtract again (then watch out for those duplicates).  But, at least that flange is not present at wall ends.

-B

WallSubtract?.png

In my tests, the wall is still there inside the Solid Subtraction container object, accessible as a Wall Object in the SS edit mode with all the Wall parameters and features.  To be clear, I drew the wall, added the door and the oval window to the wall, then did a solid subtraction of a wedge shape.

It's not a great solution, though, for the above mentioned reasons.  Render gets confusing, too, because the classes of the wall and it's features are not necessarily same as the class of the SS.

The window & door objects will replicate in correct locations, but will manifest as new objects outside the SS container (drag a selection to see this). This happens each time the solid subtraction is remade (a stack may ensue if additional copies are not deleted).  But, in order for wall edits to "stick", the SS has to be remade. My work flow is Ungroup the SS, Cut the subtracting wedge (or move it away), Edit the wall, replace the wedge, SS again.  Then delete any stacked up wall feature items. sigh.

Anyway, here's the file for anyone interested horsing around with this.

-B

Wall1.vwx