barkest

Convert to subdivision not work correctly

Question

On the attachment I took a simple extrude and converted it to a sub div object. I then used crease all to put it back to the original shape. As you can see it did not work. The original object can be seen.

Not sure what to do if it fails on such a simple object?

thanks

sub div not working.jpg

17 answers to this question

Nope, same thing happened here in a test, the same odd fins appear even though they have no cage geometry defining them.

58b08e36385f2_ScreenShot2017-02-24at2_48_59PM.png.00f62713494048be7a84e945357b0e87.png

Submitting this as a bug now. VB-139591

If I take a polygon and convert it to a sub div then extrude the polygon face is there a way to close the hole on the bottom on the sub div object (assume I extrude upwards)

sub div from polygon.jpg

I don't think so - have you tried extruding first and converting to Subdivision next.

Is there a way to loose the webbing. If not I wish for one. It makes Subdivision unusable for many re-entrant objects.

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 2.14.06 PM.png

Edited by bcd
  • Like 1

sorry - just hijacked your other thread to highlight this issue. I went with a fillet instead of Subdivision because of exactly this issue.

thanks I was just looking for other methods to get around the other now known bug

After my all day pod issues I decided to get into Sub Div modelling but have not had a great start :(

I am sure things will start looking up

@barkestHi, Morning. Use the bridge mode to close off the base, then use the crease mode to make them square again. As for the surface at the top not sure yet.

Capture.JPG

Hi, Is there a way around this? See attached when you convert a shape like this you get crossover of the mesh which stays as a surface, even is you try to crease it out. Is there a way????

Capture.JPG

@barkestSo getting rid of the overlapping shape is easy,  Hit face hole mode and select top, its then gone. But trying to bridge again is causing an issue.

So if you really want to do it with starting with a polygon, use the hole to delete the offending top and use subdivision mirror and you have a complete object. if you dont want to keep it as mirror hit mirror again and it becomes one object .HTH

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

This is Senthil Prabu...

Thanks Alan for the nice video,

Following tips may help to understand the tool better...

Reason for the Crossover mesh:

The particular cage face is a non-quad cage face, so the OpenSubdiv Library use to generate subdivision mesh like this only.  At present the workaround is to convert that face into multiple faces.

From the Alan's video:

-> "Face hole" is used to toggle on/off its dependent subdivision mesh.  In the video, instead of using "Face hole", Use Transform mode, select the face and hit "Delete" button, the particular cage face will be

deleted.  Then you can use the Bridge mode to close the face with multiple faces as you did for bottom face.

-> To Crease everything:

Being inside the "Edit Subdivision" tool with a Subdivision object is selected.  User can right click to get the following context menus to crease/uncrease everything.

• Crease All Edges
  • Smooth All Edges
  • Crease All Vertices
  • Smooth All Vertices.

This thread was very helpful for finding a workaround. Is the self intersection created considered a bug? It doesn't take much to get it to happen.

Kevin

58d2a205362a2_ScreenShot2017-03-22at9_10_18AM.png.3efddcadfa2e64a19578beb843e2c4cc.png

As explained before, for non-convex polygon, the opensubdiv library generates mesh like this only.

Workaround:

->Delete the face with Transform mode (select the face and press delete key),

-> Use Bridge mode to create two faces as shown below.

-> repeat the same procedure for other side of the face too.

Workaround.png.b6d17fa4ee91ef3ad83076e2f69c988f.png