Hello, 

I am new to the forums so apologies if this is a common topic. 

Been using vectorworks for a while now and never really fully understood the differences and or benefits of using either screen plane or layer plane when drawing. 

Primarily using vectorworks for 2D drawing and assumed that screen plane was better to use for this. However it seems that without adjusting the setting some items in files end up being on layer plane, even after selecting to force the plane mode to screen in the plane mode preferences panel. This preference seems to be forgotten while the file is closed.

It causes issues when items are drawn in different plane modes as it seems you are unable to select certain items if different. 

It would be great if someone was able to explain the differences fully, which is better to use for 2D drawing and how to set this as a default.

Thanks, 

Matt

I've have many issues with screen plane/layer plane. You do eventually get use to the setup, but I do feel it could be better. The reason you are seeing what you are is because Vectorworks only has one 2D view; top/plan. All the rest of the views, like front, right, left and top are 3D views, and that's where the confusion lies because we see those views as flat, but Vectorworks sees them with depth. I would rather define my objects as either 2D or 3D, and see all "flat" views as 2D. The computer should think like we do, it should not force us to think as it does.

• Like 1

I think in 3D as what I am drawing will be constructed in 3D. 2D drawings are what I have to produce because that is what the the authorities and contractors want.

Once you show a contractor a 3D drawing they want it as they can see all the possible issues. If you draw it as it would be constructed.

On 2/25/2017 at 6:39 AM, Bruce Kieffer said:

The computer should think like we do, it should not force us to think as it does.

That is one of the main reasons there are multiple programs that do close to the same thing. Excel vs. Numbers, Word vs. Pages, PowerPoint vs. Keynote, Autocad vs. Vectorworks vs. PowerCadd, vs. Solidworks vs. Vizio.

If a program does not work the way you think, you can always look for another that does.

It is unlikely that any program is every going to change the way it "thinks."  That is too hard coded into the original design. Certain aspects may change, but wholesale changes are unlikely as it would piss off the people who do think like the program was designed.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

If a program does not work the way you think, you can always look for another that does.

Pat, I'm saying that when I look at a 2D front view, I do not see points forward or behind that view. Those points make no sense to me since I cannot see them. I understand the Vectorworks knows those points exist, and it knows where they are, but I do feel that Vectorworks should also understand that I don't see those points. I don't feel I'm asking too much, and I don't feel that I should need to look for an alternative program.

I think Bruce is right.

Seems that I was just lucky having worked with (many) pure 3D Apps in the past.

Such a limitation I only experienced at the time I tested Archicad and now Vectorworks.

So I see a lot of room for improvements.

Don't get my wrong, I think 2.5D is a great workflow for standard architecture.

But from a user point of view you would like to have that not only in top plan view

but also same behavior in orthogonal side views, which VW calls 3D views.

Like restriction of translations to only that 2D plane that you can see (XZ or YZ)

and that simplified, idealistic plan view illustration.

But I think that would require that VW parts, tools, internals are and behave totally 3D.

Pat is probably correct to think that another program may better suit my needs, but I have 20 plus years invested in MiniCad and Vectorworks, so changing CAD programs at this stage of my career is not appropriate in my mind. I have abandoned every Microsoft and Adobe app and replaced them with inexpensive apps that suit my needs fine. That is very different than moving from my vast investment in Vectorworks to yet an even more costly and time consuming investment in say Solidworks.

Back to Matt's original question about plane mode... Matt, Allan's reference to the help file should be beneficial to you. Know that Vectorworks considers top/plan as the only 2D view, and understand that when you are in layer plane everything you draw is a 3D object no matter which view you are in, even top/plan. You can change the plane of an object in the OIP to convert it from 3D to 2D object, and vice versa. Also understand that Vectorworks is primarily an architectural tool and that I use it as a solid modeling tool. Have patience, you will get use to the plan modes.

1 hour ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

Pat is probably correct to think that another program may better suit my needs, but I have 20 plus years invested in MiniCad and Vectorworks, so changing CAD programs at this stage of my career is not appropriate in my mind.

In my experience, when switching Software,

in most cases it gets slightly different,

but only in rare cases it gets really better overall ;)

Each has its own drawbacks.

I think VW is not so wrong and think it is better to let VW improve and eliminate such

inconsistencies and quirks from basic 3D tool set.