Change scale of sitemodel

Brendon

Here is some info

I suggest paste a copy of your site model into a vwx new drawing file for theses tests.  Then duplicate the site model in the new file and work with the dupe, so you can compare to the unchanged version.

I think you want to rescale the whole site model. Select it, then Modify>Scale> put in a value for symmetric scale, eg 10.

A number of site model setting adjustments will be needed:

• The site model rescales around its mid point, so lowest contour will read lower than orig data, highest contour will read higher, etc. If you know your original zero point (or other reference),  read the rescaled value at same point  (eg -100 or something) by setting a stake. Then enter Site Model Settings adjust the Start Contour Offset to move all the contour values up or down by the difference between orig and new reading at the reference point

• The rescaled model will probably exceed the setting values for max height and min height. These settings determine the range of elevations that are displayed.  Any parts of the model outside this range are still present, you just can't see them.  Increase the min and max values as needed to include the desired range of elevation.  eg if your original max value was 120, and you rescale by 10, your new high point will be 1200.  But the rescale operation did not scale the max and min setting values. The max value remains at 120, so everything above that is hidden.  Enter the settings dialog and adjust the Max elevation to 1200 or higher.

• If needed, adjust the contour intervals, major and/or minor.

If that's not what you are trying to do, post again.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
duplicate, range, etc

@BrendonHi, I think you units are set to centimetres and not millimetres. Go File / Document Setting / Units and set to Millimetres and you will get your answer. 

Never scale up a site model. its drawn at a specific node/contour level and position in real world co-ordinates. To do this would put all the survey data out of wack.

PS update your site model after you change the units.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Alan Woodwell
  • Like 1

Alan has to be right on this.  Unless, the contour source data was imported at wrong scale. Check the data.  If the data was incorrectly imported, better to reimport or scale the source data, and then make the site model from the correct data.

I also agree - scaling a site model as described is fraught with potential problems, even though that was Brendon's original request. Not recommended.

Also, just curious, are metric site data usually captured and displayed as mm rather than cm or meters? Makes a lot of sense to avoid numbers with decimal points in them, but 1mm is a pretty small increment.  US site survey data is often shown in the arcane and unwieldy decimal feet. It can be as granular as 1 or  2 decimal points, sometimes even 3 points.  0.01 foot = 3.048 mm. And then there's that whole issue of Survey Feet vs regular feet.  Yikes! Why do we do this to ourselves?

-B

Thanks to all for the responses. I have not had time to re-look at this issue too much but I did do a quick scale and not sure that is the fix I need. Possibly I need to scale on the z axis.

The real problem lies in the fact that the document is set in mm and the site model was created early on thinking that the document was set to cm. I no longer have access to the original stake data that created the site model so I am left with a contour slope that is not represented right and out of scale to the rest of the information in the document. 

Thank again... I'll keep playing around and see what I can discover.

One more thought about this.  Could it be that the original stake values were correct xy (east/northing, etc) but the z values were incorrect? eg source z values at different scale (mm instead of cm?) or the z value input into vwx was incorrect?

Anyway, note that the site model source data is actually available within the site model.  Right click the site model and choose Edit Site Model Source Data.  The source stakes or contours are shown.  I suggest Select All,  Copy, then exit the edit screen and Paste in Place these source objects into a new, blank vwx file.  Here they can be examined. If the z values are incorrect, and correct values are known, the stakes or contours can be re moved in the z direction without changing their xy positions.

A new site model can be created from this modified source data. Or, save/close/duplicate the original file with a new name, eg MyFilev2. Open the new duplicate file, right click to Edit Site Model Source Data, Delete all the source objects, Paste in Place all the new source objects from the test file.  Exit the source data and update the site model.  This should display the site model with same top/plan boundaries and scale, but new slopes from the new z values.

If stakes are arranged similar to contours with "strings" of them at same height, each "string" can be selected (any side view) and moved to new z value via the OIP.  If there are many stakes with dissimilar values, a script would help (not me!) to select and proportion the z value of each stake individually.

HTH

-B