Phil hunt

to renew or not to renew (that is the question)

61 posts in this topic

I think the cost goes up if you don't renew.....no idea by how much......and if vectorworks does have some fantastic upgrades that would help in 3D modelling I can always stump up the additional cash to get the upgrade at the end of September 

6 hours ago, Phil hunt said:

Well took the decision today not to renew my Vss been a hard decision to make but at the ripe old age of 64.....I don't think vw2018 could have offered me any more to my workflow.....I know it's difficult for a software company to disclose any any pre release titbits....I do think vectorworks should look at splitting the cost over a 12 month period for maybe the vss and indeed a new licence as the adobe setup.....maybe more companies would indeed use the upgrade system to there advantage cost.....it's been great fun being part of the forum but I don't know now if I will be able to participate now I am no longer a vss subscriber.......but if not I wish you all well and thanks again for all your help in the past.....cheers phil

3 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I don't think there's any requirement to be a VSS subscriber to participate in these forums.... I believe they're open to everyone, even non-Vectorworks users.

Kevin

Correct, this forum is available to anyone regardless of ownership status.

Great to hear that Jim.   Thanks 

So could a 12 month subscription for a licence be an option or not.  Just a thought 

19 minutes ago, Phil hunt said:

So could a 12 month subscription for a licence be an option or not.  Just a thought 

There is a great deal of discussion surrounding expanding our payment options going on internally, I know of no details yet (not just confidential, I genuinely dont know any) but it is getting a lot of attention.

Posted (edited)

I just started looking at Substance Designer. As an Educator it is free and it works with c4d. Maybe VW can learn from them.

I got assigned a contact with a nice email and have just been invited to a webinar solely for Educators on how to use SD and an open forum for q and a's with no time limit.

I have had more attention from them in two weeks than I got from VW in 5+ years.

Sad to say that really. Maybe another discussion you can have

Edited by barkest

I go through this every year when the VSS bill comes in for 3 licences. Pity I did not date it to coincide with the release of info for the next version. Recently and or the fourth time I have now renewed more out of loyalty then anythings else.....which is crazy I know ..... but I am a loyal customer and it would be nice to get a few more rewards and benefits. 

On 5/19/2017 at 5:14 PM, Phil hunt said:

Damned if you do - damned if you dont.

There has been GREAT resistance to going moving to a true subscription model.

Now that I started my own firm - I see a great benefit in it - being able to purchase a license for a little while - but then let it go if it is no longer needed. 

With the VSS - its kind of the worst of both - you are paying a subscription and you have to pay for the software, to begin with.  

Maybe it just turns out that paying money is not fun no matter what the model.

26 minutes ago, Tom Klaber said:

With the VSS - its kind of the worst of both - you are paying a subscription and you have to pay for the software, to begin with.  

Maybe it just turns out that paying money is not fun no matter what the model.

I will say, though I don't mind the current model, as the price of my VSS subscription yearly approaches what I paid for buying Vectorworks (Minicad 5) outright in 1993/94 I begin to feel weird about it all.

KM

As a sole-practitioner, I prefer the current annual VSS payment model as opposed to the Adobe / AutoCAD monthly rental subscription model.

What frustrates me most about the annual Vw upgrade cycle is the number of major bugs introduced in 2017: It really felt like it was a Beta release. I didn't feel that 2017 was stable enough to use on real projects until SP2 was released, and even after SP3, there are still display refresh problems.

All that to say, even though I paid for a 2017 license as part of my VSS, I have yet to use it on a real project. I'm still using 2016 as it has fewer issues than 2017, in my opinion.