Space - Calculated Room Dimensions

Is there a way to get the Space and it's label to show room dimensions in the secondary dimension units instead of primary?

Our Primary is millimetres and we want to keep that for all general dimensions but want to show the space label as metres on different rounding rules.

I know I can change primary but that causes issue with drawing transport and other areas. Changing the area was easy I find it odd if the dimensions can be changed why the answer isn't just us obvious.

Edited by Matt Overton

In short, the answer is no. 

The unit tolerances for Spaces are linked to the global document settings units.  I have asked for the ability to control dimensional tolerances in spaces but I am not sure that has even made it to a Wishist Item.  There are many instances in practice, (such as showing room areas or showing overall room dimensions for a Space object) that you would want to control these unit tolerances individually.

My approach is to select the Space Objects in question, change the document unit settings to the desired tolerance, then check/uncheck calculate room dimensions.  Once the spaces show up with the correct tolerances, I reset the document unit settings back to what they want to be for my overall document.  However if you adjust the spaces in any way,  you have to do this all over again. 

This seems like a relatively easy thing to implement, but not enough of us complain about it to get it to rise to the level of fixing.  :-)

Good luck!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, cberg said:

In short, the answer is no. 

The unit tolerances for Spaces are linked to the global document settings units.  I have asked for the ability to control dimensional tolerances in spaces but I am not sure that has even made it to a Wishist Item.  There are many instances in practice, (such as showing room areas or showing overall room dimensions for a Space object) that you would want to control these unit tolerances individually.

My approach is to select the Space Objects in question, change the document unit settings to the desired tolerance, then check/uncheck calculate room dimensions.  Once the spaces show up with the correct tolerances, I reset the document unit settings back to what they want to be for my overall document.  However if you adjust the spaces in any way,  you have to do this all over again. 

This seems like a relatively easy thing to implement, but not enough of us complain about it to get it to rise to the level of fixing.  :-)

Good luck!

Going with the manual approach then ... I guess. I sometimes wonder where the Aided part of Computer Drafting is?

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Itchy said:

Just trying to make this work now, as above mm for the drawing but want the space in M, objects like the property tool you can select the units why not this one? Another tool almost there but not quite...

Yep, is tool is seriously broken in this regards.

It doesn't use the dimension standards at all, it uses the document unit settings. 

So the only way to get it to say 3.2 x 3.4 means setting the document units (note: not dimension unit) to Metres with 0.1 display. 

Meaning the whole file runs +-50mm error / precision. 

This tool isn't set and forget reliable that is or sure.