how to get objects/symbols not to "smart move"

I am wondering if there is a way to turn off VW's (10.5) "smart placement" of objects. It seems that 50% time I place an sink near a wall- VW assumes that I want to mirror flip that sink and place it in the middle of the wall- same holds true for insulation, studs, etc. I need to move them or resize them and VW works makes the worst assumptions (and I wonder why it makes any assupmtions in the first place) in moving the object to the wrong place- can this be turned off or otherwise resolved? should I use an old version of VW?

Just another tip, when you create a symbol or edit a symbol you can choose from "Insertion Options" for that specific symbol. Then, in the wall insertion options, you can choose to have the symbol insert on the edge of the wall with no wall breaks.

Now anytime you insert this symbol, it will go right up against the wall without breaking the wall, or if you put your insertion point a couple of inches off the wall in the symbol definition, the symbol will insert a couple of inches off the wall.

The nice thing about this is that it is saved with the symbol, so you do not have to keep turning on and off the global insertion mode.

I know for us, there are certain symbols we always want to insert into the wall, and others we want just close to the wall.

• 1 year later...