Autocad vs. Vectorworks

quote:

Originally posted by jan15:

Are you interested in just drawing with a CAD program? That's how your original question sounds to me, but I think most of the replies are talking about something more complicated.

Yeah, we pretty much only do 2D drawings at our firm. Any isometrics, renderings, etc. are usually done by hand. And yeah. . .most of the arguements going on in this thread are basically useless to me. I've never used VW and the things being discussed in here are way over my head. [Razz]

That's not to say this hasn't been helpfull. VW sounds very interesting, and we will probably be scheduling to have a sales rep. come and give us a demonstration pretty soon.

Thanks again to all that helped out. I'll let you all know if we end up using the program in the future. [smile]

Sorry to Nihkon for leading this thread off-topic, but it's become a useful forum for other issues..

--

I find Donald's way of working counter-intuitive. Some people in my office have previously drawn your way, but it leads to horrendous mistakes. Not having your plans overlaid can be a recipe for disaster.

Only this morning I discovered a lift shaft (elevator for most of you..) on a floor plan that didn't line through with the shafts above. This could have been spotted had the plans been over-laid, where mistakes are more obvious.

As a further example, let's take elevations - I draw them all in a row, side by side, on separate layers, so that all of the Y values are correct according to the site datum. Layer linking means I don't have to worry about the arrangement on the sheets.

It's putting the cart before the horse to arrange your models to suit your layout sheets, when there are more important issues that determine where your models should be drawn. Layer linking isn't complicated in itself, and it's rare you have to use the multi-scale workaround.

No one's yet convinced me VW shouldn't have Viewports, but:

The equivalent functionality could be acheived by having layer-link clipping and layer-link scaling, which are probably strightforward to acheive.

Anyone fancy writing a script?

quote:

Originally posted by Chris D:

No one's yet convinced me VW shouldn't have Viewports, but:

The equivalent functionality could be acheived by having layer-link clipping and layer-link scaling, which are probably strightforward to acheive.

Anyone fancy writing a script?

That has been on the wish list for a very long time. Hopefully in VW 11

[Wink]

quote:

Yeah, we pretty much only do 2D drawings at our firm. Any isometrics, renderings, etc. are usually done by hand.

Nihkon,

I only scanned this thread so I'm not sure if ths was emphasised;

When you draw walls and put in doors and windows in 2D, VW is building the 3D model underneath it "for free". The only thing you have to do is specify the wall height, and it's then "automatic"

Viewing the model is simply a matter of selecting the view.

Output it as a hidden line rendering and you've saved your rendering people all of the time it takes to set up the perspective to be rendered.