Record Data Update Exception Project Sharing 3.0

Tom Klaber

Question

With Project Sharing 3.0 I would love for there to be an easy way for record data not to be part of what is checked out - even when you check out a layer.

USE CASE:

My colleague Silvia is working on the plan.  I am working on the interior elevation sheet layouts, but because there is a linked tag to the elevations, I am unable to move my viewports to another sheet because it requires that the tag in the plan to be updated. I realize now that that is going to be true alot - and which schedules too.  The more auto-coordinated and BIMmy the file, the less you will be able to employ project sharing because the more things will be tied to other things.  

• Like 1

1 answer to this question

Yes it's annoying, as you have to ask them to release, but they can't at the moment as they are you know working. So down the track they release a sing out across the office. To the point that the talk in the office is not the project architecture but cad stuff so the boss comments we seem to be having lots of issues with the new software.  

When 95% of those time the change is not going to effect the work the other person is doing. Most of these cases are like what you say small nuggets of pure data, reference tag updates, class settings or new layers that effect a bunch of veiwports. The sorts of changes we don't need to attend but can't put off without effecting work flow.

Why can't the system just inject the new data in to the database and be done with it so neither user has to checkout or release.