I'm new here....A few little issues to help me on my way..

Hi all, I've just made the leap to owning and properly using VW having previously just used it on other machines owned by the companies I've been designing (basically) for.

I'm now setting out on the steep, sometimes confusing but ultimately rewarding journey to getting to know this... so I might be on here a bit asking some rather dumb and obvious questions but I do have an understanding of most of the basics...

So, first two:

When I make a focus point and direct a moving head towards it, on my renders it doesn't point towards it, generics do however as does the light coming from it. Do I need to set its pan and tilt manually? 

Secondly, I've made a key of the lights in the drawing and it has automatically colour coded them however on my plans they are still just black... what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for now....

^ Yes to this - you'll find it in the File>Document Settings>Spotlight Preferences>Lighting Device panel.

Rob, this behavior isn't useful for many instruments because in Top/Plan the 2d base also rotates. Can this setting be applied on a per-instrument basis and/or allow 2d components of instruments be recognized as parts and rotate accordingly?

Cheers, slowly getting there, realised I had "set colour by colour field" checked and not by "lighting instrument" so thats sorted now, I now have then pointing where they should although I'm not sure how. I did check rotate 2D to focus point but when looking at a Plan View it looked messy as all the bases are rotated at angles to the truss. I unchecked it and got on with some other things, when I went back to an Iso view, they were pointing towards the focus point. 

My next question is how would I create a low glow from the body of a Robe Patt 2013 fixture?

Thanks again, Matt

So... I think I'm getting there... Edit symbol, where the glass of the lens should be place a disk in its place with a texture created to glow when the light is on? Taking a bit of time to get the correct colour (very low power tungsten) as there seem to be so many things that affect it. Any help with that'd be ace, I quite like this challenge,  nothing like an actual job to get you to learn stuff... much better than just playing around...

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya, cheers for that, I'm back at my desk after a little holiday, I realised that actually, it was a combination of (like you said) using a to lower powered unit and the reflectivity of the surface I'm up lighting not being what I was looking for so having a play with that. Cheers.

Next issue is that I don't seem to be able to render a profile beam through fog with the shutters in to create a slot of light. I get the slot on an object in the beam path but the lit fog is just a big circle as if the shutters aren't in. Do I need to put an image in as a gobo of the slot I'm after? Light is a S4 19.  (should this be a new post/topic?)