Choppy Contours II

nca777

Question

We are again evaluating capabilities of VW Landmark in our landscape architecture practice. We've worked through several real-world projects and overall pleased with the tools and performance. One area we see opportunity for vast improvement is in grading/contour controls. 

Have any improvements/tools been added or in the pipeline for allowing more fine control of proposed contours? 

It would be GREAT if somehow it could be possible to simply enable vertices on proposed contours that the user can drag and adjust like a polyline, while updating the DTM. Seems very simple and would eliminate the need for what I would consider overly complicated 'modifiers.'

Anything I'm missing? Is there a way to refine contours?

• Like 2

10 answers to this question

I cannot emphasize enough how imperative it is for landscape architects working on virtually any projects scale to have the ability to directly manipulate/reshape contours. Not having this feature is almost a non-starter for our firm in VW. 

I hope that this is a TOP priority for VW developers!

Jim W -- 

To clarify--I want to be able to manipulate only PROPOSED contours in a similar manner to the procedue you suggest for editing EXISTING topo. In my experience there is little need for editing the source/existing, but this is exactly what I would like to be able to do with the proposed. I would also like fine controls over grade extents or rather 'tie-in' locations with existing contours. Lastly, it would be great if there were a symbol for tie-in locations like a dot.

Heres a CAD screenshot of a grading plan for a residence where we need to carefully control and limit where our proposed grading ties into existing as well as careful consideration for slopes. 

Again, what you suggest (edit source data) would be perfect if applicable to proposed topo. Please let me know if I'm missing something..

Thanks!

grading screenshot.JPG

• Like 1

This resculpting as proposed is very possible.  Create the modifying contour polys, eg similar to the red 2d polylines in example, convert them to 3d polys, then via the Create Objects from Shapes command, convert them (individually or all at once) to Site Modifyer>Contour.  Verify the z values.  Surround them with a Grade Limit, and assign all the new stuff to Proposed.  Update the site model to modify the proposed version as required.

-B

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Benson Shaw said:

This resculpting as proposed is very possible.  Create the modifying contour polys, eg similar to the red 2d polylines in example, convert them to 3d polys, then via the Create Objects from Shapes command, convert them (individually or all at once) to Site Modifyer>Contour.  Verify the z values.  Surround them with a Grade Limit, and assign all the new stuff to Proposed.  Update the site model to modify the proposed version as required.

-B

Thanks Benson.

I have been experimenting with the contour mode tool. This does seem to get close to what I have requested. The output is still fairly difficult to control precisely. It seems one would need to use the contour tool in close coordination with the grade limits tool to refine and re-adjust grades. It occurs to me that simply adding vertices to the proposed contours would make this refinement process much more intuitive and accurate. Getting closer....thanks!

I've been using 3D Polygons, well, three-dimensionally to "sculpt" DTMs.  It seems the TIN pretty much always triangulates contrary to what one would hope for (such that things like ridges are often stepped).  But it also seems that the DTM respects not only the vertices of 3D Polygons, but the lines between the vertices as well: so, drawing a 3D Polygon, or two, along the crown of a ridge can force the TIN to re-triangulate, reducing or eliminating the steps in the ridge.  These 3D Polygons need to be in the Site-DTM-Modifiers class to adjust the proposed site, or, they can also be used within the source data to sculpt the existing conditions site if necessary.  At least, that's my (ever evolving...) DTMing experience... HTH

• Like 2
On 3/7/2017 at 8:25 PM, willofmaine said:

I've been using 3D Polygons, well, three-dimensionally to "sculpt" DTMs.  It seems the TIN pretty much always triangulates contrary to what one would hope for (such that things like ridges are often stepped).  But it also seems that the DTM respects not only the vertices of 3D Polygons, but the lines between the vertices as well: so, drawing a 3D Polygon, or two, along the crown of a ridge can force the TIN to re-triangulate, reducing or eliminating the steps in the ridge.  These 3D Polygons need to be in the Site-DTM-Modifiers class to adjust the proposed site, or, they can also be used within the source data to sculpt the existing conditions site if necessary.  At least, that's my (ever evolving...) DTMing experience... HTH

Will--

I would love to see your technique in action. Are you in Maine? Please check your messages. I sent you a note...

N