OpenGL 2D view

Macvector

Question

Hi everyone. 

So I a have a 2D section using the Top View and I want to display the trees in elevation view but I don't know how to do it... With other objects such as furnitures what I do is to select the object that what I want to represent in elevation, change the view to front (or any other except plan view) and then convert the object to lines in the modify dropdown menu, finally copy the object and go back to plan view and paste it there. That way I can see a furniture or object in elevation while using the top view. 

But that doesn't happen with trees... The only way I can see the elevation of a tree is if I change the view to front then > View menu > rendering > OpenGL. But no matter what I can't save the 2D view in elevation so I can use it in the top plan view later on. I'm stuck here, I really need  2D images elevation trees, what can I do? 

Thanks in advance

8 answers to this question

31 minutes ago, Alan Woodwell said:

@MacvectorHi, whether I am doing plans elevations or sections this is one way I solve this issue. Trees etc are all 2 D images.  HTH

Capture.JPG

Sorry but can you please elaborate the steps? I didn't quite understand your example. I Apologize but I'm not a Vectorworks professional, Thank you very much. 

Also I think those houses were made in 3D, while my section is completely made of 2D objects.

Edited by Macvector

@MacvectorHi, Yes the buildings are 3d. If you are only doing 2d refer to the attached VW file all done in top/plan view. all objects show, not sure why you would need to rotate the objects unless they are 3d to start with. Maybe I am a bit confused as to what you are doing. Maybe post a small section of your file for us to look at. Posted a 2012 just incase you dont have 2017

Elevations.vwx

Elevations_v2012.vwx

20 minutes ago, Alan Woodwell said:

@MacvectorHi, Yes the buildings are 3d. If you are only doing 2d refer to the attached VW file all done in top/plan view. all objects show, not sure why you would need to rotate the objects unless they are 3d to start with. Maybe I am a bit confused as to what you are doing. Maybe post a small section of your file for us to look at. Posted a 2012 just incase you dont have 2017

Elevations.vwx

Elevations_v2012.vwx

Basically what I want is a 2d image of a tree elevation since I'm working my sections in 2D, in the Top/Plan View to be exact, but I don't see to find any. Tha'ts why I need to rotate 3D objects in order to transform them into 2D objects in elevation. I can do it with other objects but I can't do it with trees, in fact even in 3D mode I have to click on OpenGL to see the image of the tree. 

How can I get a 2D elevation of a tree? I tried using images from google but those have the white background hard to remove. In your file you had 2D elevation tree, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help 

PD: Yes, I'm working with 3D objects

Edited by Macvector

@macvector Hi these trees came from the Net, search for tree on white background then cut out the white back then but now i would use image props. Need to play with them, give me 5 min and i put some up. That tree if you select it all and make it solid you will get a blob so some are set to none and some fill. just played with it to get what i wanted with local species trees.

Hi the attached uses an image prop (right large tree) with a transparent background, rotated in 3D 90 deg about the x axis and then you render the viewport in open GL. HTH  These trees dont cover (hide) what below very well but at scale of 1:100 it doesn't matter.

Elevations.vwx

Edited by Alan Woodwell
2 hours ago, Alan Woodwell said:

@MacvectorOk I remember now I must have got these trees from a free cad site, Just downloaded these from (http://www.firstinarchitecture.co.uk/cad-blocks-trees-02/) I would always scan everthing you download.

Lots of free stuff out there also 3D warehouse is very good. HTH (off for the day now)

Elevations.vwx

Thanks a lot for the help! I ended up using your trees hehe