Workflow and performance issues

Good afternoon everyone,

I've worked with vectorworks for quite a while in a few different firms, however, only the past year and a half did I really get into the parametric end and BIM end of vectorworks. I do love the features and time saving elements in vectorworks that vectorworks allows you to customize on your own or are inherently in the BIM elements. Having said that, when working with larger projects - i have come up to a few issues when working with larger and larger projects.

Since I need to often share information with engineers and clients, they prefer the information in CAD. This means that all of my plans and elevations need to be exportable (not rendered in OpenGL). Whenever a project grows larger and larger in size (multiphased) the harder it is to work with the file itself. Why should a line rendering take 5-10 minutes???? But then again, it could also be the workflow.

Generally what i do is store the entire project in one file rather than several. It doesn't take as long to update references stored in a separate file and is generally more responsive that way.

But, i recently reached a 600 mb threshold, and i'm having a major problem rendering all of the elevations. Could this be a problem with the amount of information stored?

All my walls are brick, and some elements have stone work...which could make the renderings intricate, however, this is unintentional. Using regular hatches should make it easier to render. Does anyone have any tips? or feedback? Maybe similar experiences?

Thanks alot everyone!

@Samuel DerenboimHi, have you purged recently and got rid of all your unwanted textures? they can bulk up a file quickly, also using patterns rather than hatches also cause the file size to grow. Images?? if you have imported then and scaled them down in VW can also grow the file exorbitantly. If you clean these things up you should reduce the file size and things should go faster.HTH

3 hours ago, Alan Woodwell said:

@Samuel DerenboimHi, have you purged recently and got rid of all your unwanted textures? they can bulk up a file quickly, also using patterns rather than hatches also cause the file size to grow. Images?? if you have imported then and scaled them down in VW can also grow the file exorbitantly. If you clean these things up you should reduce the file size and things should go faster.HTH

Thanks on the tip Alan, 

My file is pretty tidy in terms of textures, hatches, etc... I try to use line work, hatches and textures only once. I try not to use patterns because they require opengl, and i prefer to render in hidden line format. 

I do have a lot of classes open, but I will be using them in the near future. Can empty classes really slow down a file by that much?

Either way, I'll purge, will tell how it works out. Thanks !

Edited by Samuel Derenboim

Well i've narrowed it down, when i create the viewport from a clip cube, know the depth length and width of the viewport, it seems to render it fairly quickly. However, as soon as i turn on the markers layers for the windows, then it takes ages. By the way...by ages, I mean it freezes, and doesn't finish rendering...:/

Any reason why?

UPDATE:

So for some reason when i assign a different class to a marker, it doesn't render, but when i keep the marker in the window class, it renders. Could this be a bug? I assigned an Anno layer only for markers...

I have a total of 200 windows, maybe 1/3 are showing on this layer....Also, does the length of characters in the markers depend on rendering time? I know they're opengl, so i figured it shouldn't matter, no? 

Edited by Samuel Derenboim