Recommended file setup for large number of houses + site model

Christiaan

I'm involved in a project that includes a site model + 80 houses, made up of about 20 different types.

What file set up do you recommend?

All houses have the same Storey setup so my first instinct is to put the site model and all of the house type models into one Project File. And then all sheets into a separate file, workgroup referenced to the main Project File (to keep the model file nimble).

I was trying to track down the very useful 'file setup efficiency' testing that Martyn Horne and team presented at the BIM Design Day in London back in October but haven't put my finger on it yet.

Edited by Christiaan

Over the years I've developed an allergic reaction to workgroup referencing, and my recent experience mixing workgroup referencing with Project Sharing still tells me that if you can avoid it then avoid it. It's another complex step in the process that can introduce workflow problems and bugs that hold up a project.

The main question I ask myself now, when it comes to deciding how many files a project should have, is "do I *have* to put this in a separate file?" (for instance it might be a separate building with a different Storey setup). If I have to then I have to. But if I don't have to then my instinct now is to keep it in one file.

So I think it's time I tried putting everything in one Project File, maybe even all the Sheets. The downside of this of course is that the file could slow down and become difficult to navigate.

If you want to make use of Stories and your houses have unique FFLs then I think you're best if not only bet is to use at minimum 2 files: one for the site one for the houses.

With 20 house types you could conceivably have a set of Design Layers for each one, and have them offset on the x&y axis by say 50m so that orthogonal views allow you to view all house types at once.

Diligent use of Saved Views will be your friend.

Design Layer Viewports are much more robust now than old school Layer Linking & Workgroup referencing, so I wouldn't balk at brininging each House type into the site as a DLVP with only its Layer-set visible.

You can move each House DLVP up/down to the required FFL.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bcd said:

If you want to make use of Stories and your houses have unique FFLs then I think you're best if not only bet is to use at minimum 2 files: one for the site one for the houses.

The site is sloping so the houses are at different levels but the Storey setup is the same for all of them, so I still don't think there's any reason to farm them out to another file.

Design Layer Viewports are much more robust now than old school Layer Linking & Workgroup referencing, so I wouldn't balk at brininging each House type into the site as a DLVP with only its Layer-set visible.

Design Layer Viewports, yes. But add DLVPs via a referenced file I've still run into problems with. 

Edited by Christiaan
7 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

The site is sloping so the houses are at different levels but the Storey setup is the same for all of them, so I still don't think there's any reason to farm them out to another file.

Yes you're right. You could combine these two files - you will still need to use internal DLVPs to replicate, lift & place copies of the house around the site.

• 1 month later...