Scaling issues with 3D objects in the viewport

Liz YO

Question

I have drawn 3d objects to scale in the model space.  I have created a viewport for this object & for some reason when I change the scale to what should be correct, it comes out super small.

All my 2d plans etc scale fine in the viewport - its just the 3D viewport for some reason...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Liz

1 answer to this question

When you say you have drawn the objects to scale, what exactly to you mean?  Did you:

A. Draw the objects using the built in VW measurements so that when you dimension an object you get the correct measurement (i.e. a 3' wide door measures 3')

or

B. Drew the object to scale by manually adjusting the size (i.e. I want a 1' cube but am working at 1:4 scale so I will draw it as 3")

A is the correct answer.

The Layer Scale in VW is just kind a fixed zoom ratio. It allows you to draw at a scale that is equal to (or close to) the expected final output scale. This makes it easier to work on things like font sizes and line weights since they won't change much when you go to the final output in viewports.

Also, Layer scales and Viewport scales are not additive. They are totally different views of the model and can be set individually.

Are the 2D and 3D objects on the same layer(s)? If not, try copying one of the 3D objects and pasting it into one of the 2D layers and see if it comes out as the correct size.

If this does not help, write back with more information on your layer scales, viewport scales and types of 3D objects you are having trouble with.