VW 2017 Network Setup

obviouslytom

Question

A few weeks ago, I took all of our VW users and changed everything to run off the network so that way all of our settings and libraries would be the same. I did this so that we would have a uniform look across all of our drawings, something that the company I work for never did until I was placed in charge of it. However, I have been running into some annoying issues that I can't seem to resolve.

First is that on all of the machines, it takes, for some, upwards of 20 minutes to start VW.  I am assuming that it is making a temp copy of the library files (which are about 1gb in total and growing) and thats why it takes so long. Is there a way to speed this up? Our network here is a full gigabit network and it doesn't make sense.

The other issue is that when we all start it up, it asks for an activation every single time. How can I stop this from happening? As of this morning, I took the user that has to wait 20 minutes for VW to start off of the network setup so that he could actually work.

I have looked for other threads but didn't really find what I needed in order to solve this issue.  Any help that I can get with this would be insanely helpful not only to me, but to the workflow we have here since I am desperately trying to streamline everything and create that uniform look to all of our drawings.

Thanks

Looks like in previous versions that path had to be .../Workgroupfolder/Libraries

like shown in a screeenshot far above,

while in VW 2020 that path has to be only .../Workgroupfolder/

As it didn't work for me too when I first tried to set a new Workgroup Folder.

After deleting /Libraries at the end of the path and a Refresh Libraries

my content appeared in Resource Manager.

On 2/8/2017 at 4:51 PM, obviouslytom said:

A few weeks ago, I took all of our VW users and changed everything to run off the network so that way all of our settings and libraries would be the same. I did this so that we would have a uniform look across all of our drawings, something that the company I work for never did until I was placed in charge of it. However, I have been running into some annoying issues that I can't seem to resolve.

First is that on all of the machines, it takes, for some, upwards of 20 minutes to start VW.  I am assuming that it is making a temp copy of the library files (which are about 1gb in total and growing) and thats why it takes so long. Is there a way to speed this up? Our network here is a full gigabit network and it doesn't make sense.

The other issue is that when we all start it up, it asks for an activation every single time. How can I stop this from happening? As of this morning, I took the user that has to wait 20 minutes for VW to start off of the network setup so that he could actually work.

You should reduce your default content, that will help. Make 2 or more libraries, load the office libraries only where needed. 

As I stated elsewhere, our library is around 11 GB. Launching VW is a bit delayed, yes, but actually fast (there is a huge gap between Mac and Win, BTW). It's around 20 seconds.

The content of the library is also something we didn't yet touch here. What goes where.

@orso b. schmid I haven't had any time to play around with 2020 until know. I did convert all the files and made a new folder, I'm trying to figure it out but haven't had any success.

Here is how I see thing in 2019 (and how I've seen for the past years) in the resource manager:

786282440_Capturadepantalla2019-10-30ala(s)12_43_57.thumb.png.d0b9dd69a69eb565c34bee160749cc05.png

When trying to use a plug in as the title block (I can see me workgroup folder and navigate to title block for instance) I see this:

891600974_Capturadepantalla2019-10-30ala(s)12_44_24.thumb.png.cea9165fe6ac7af5e838ffd984aa460e.png

But in 2020 I don't get the second workgroup folder even though it is configured the same as before.

1012760931_Capturadepantalla2019-10-30ala(s)12_41_07.thumb.png.9640ebe1a0323ed7888034dd9fdf21ce.png

Resource Manager:

1786381251_Capturadepantalla2019-10-30ala(s)12_40_35.thumb.png.e5310022a6ac7fde6fa9b31748ecec88.png

Title Block manager:

1322090881_Capturadepantalla2019-10-30ala(s)12_38_50.thumb.png.164bf554ac517924c5c66e6619d26f49.png

Any ideas?