wish: link classattributes to other classattributes // line styles (control line visuability separate from class)

Tobias Kern

Question

hi,

i'm bored to define in every class often the same attributes as i need in other classes too,

for example the line thickness and the kind of line i want (dotted, full, dashed, ...).

i think it could be very usefull, if we could link all class attributes to other classes,

so that we can change on "master"-class and all the other linked classes get this change

automatically.

example.

class a: i only set line to black color and to 0,50 pt thickness, not more

class d: got the kind of line setup from class a via a option to link classes and in class d i only set fillings, transparency, and so on ...

another idea could be

to seperate line visablity from the classes and the user does the setup for line visablity in a different setup location,

like we do with text styles.

the classes only control: fillings, textures, transparency, ....

"line styles" could be a solution for a much easier, much more consitent and faster visuall setup.

6 answers to this question

hi jonathan,

my thought was to separate line control from the classes, because often you

have the same lines (thickness and kind of line (dashed, dotted, ...)) in various

different classes. so i thought it could be useful to have a "line style" (same as

vw offers for text) were you can do your setup for the lines.

for example line styles could be:

dashed lines with: 0,1 pt, 0,25 pt,  0,5 pt,  0,7 pt, 1.0 pt, ...

dotted lines with: 0,1 pt, 0,25 pt, 0,5 pt and so on ...

in the class setup you can choose to reference the "line style" into this class

or do it in the traditional way, direct in the class.

so if you change a "line style", all referenced classes go with it.

• Like 1
On 2017-02-07 at 1:04 PM, Jonathan Pickup said:

i'm not sure why you need to have so many classes that have the same attributes. 

Well, on the project I'm working on now we have a PUMP ROOM in a basement and I need to turn on & off loads of Classes to show MEP stuff as well as Structural, Architectural & Mics. Metals. Many have the same Attributes. 

• Like 1
On 08/02/2017 at 6:08 PM, johnnygitarr said:

hi jonathan,

my thought was to separate line control from the classes, because often you

have the same lines (thickness and kind of line (dashed, dotted, ...)) in various

different classes. so i thought it could be useful to have a "line style" (same as

vw offers for text) were you can do your setup for the lines.

for example line styles could be:

dashed lines with: 0,1 pt, 0,25 pt,  0,5 pt,  0,7 pt, 1.0 pt, ...

dotted lines with: 0,1 pt, 0,25 pt, 0,5 pt and so on ...

in the class setup you can choose to reference the "line style" into this class

or do it in the traditional way, direct in the class.

so if you change a "line style", all referenced classes go with it.

This and I Agree with Jim Smith.

The number of classes generally increases with the complexity of the project, we work hard to keep it down but it happens.

The number of line styles is generally static to project size (5 solid various dashed, would be under a dozen 80% of projects).

Being able to control lines from one spot would be a massive improvement. 

Some version of line styles would  make it easier to tweak line weights to different scale drawings.

We could keep heavy line the same weight while making the lighter lines relatively more bold. In a way not possible with a single scale factor.

Oh so left field  -

Even better would be to embed behaviours in them so we can leave it to the Computer Automated Draftsperson to handle the complexity the computer needs.

If we had line styles then part of the style could be a control how that line diminishes with distance from viewing plane (section cut, perspectives and elevations)?

So super heavy lines for ground plane could fade really quickly. While say a bold line used for Solid elements might not fade at all and stock and light lines for window details could have linear fade. 

Bingo - nice looking elevations/sections every time.

• Like 1

hi,

thats what i thought about, having a central control spot for all line behaviour via a "line styles" option.

i think i could be much easier control lines via a style (referenced in the classes you wish),

as controlling every line behaviour one by one in the classes itself.

we have this style behaviour with text, walls, floors/ceilings, windows, doors, ... why not with lines!?